Chapter 1

I sucked in my breath as the maid tightened my corset. I hated the stupid things. They made it impossible to breathe correctly and I couldn't slouch.

"I think that's tight enough." I told her.

"Nonsense, Charlotte. A corset is supposed to be that tight. You must look your best. A ball for your eighteenth birthday only comes once in a lifetime." My mother glided into the room.

My mother was a perfectionist, especially about me. She wanted me to be a proper lady, like she was. I could never do that. I always got scolded for slouching or talking out do place.

"Eighteenth birthdays only come once in a lifetime." I muttered under my breath.

"Besides many handsome young gentlemen will be attending." She coaxed me slightly.

"Why would that matter?" I looked at her.

"You're now at a marrying age. Suitors will be interested now." My mother told me as the maid pinned my hair up in piles of elaborate curls.

I shook my head as much as I could. I stood up, letting the main fasten the hooks on the back of the dress. Mother said that the blue silk brought out my eyes. I still thought that the ball was over-the-top for my birthday thought.

I headed downstairs after Mother approved of what I was wearing. I had the urge to go back to tell the maid to loosen my corset.

"Ms. Charlotte Denali." Someone announced me as I made my way down the staircase.

I smiled politely as more people came over to wish me a happy birthday. I would have preferred to be anywhere else, reading a good book or singing.