Chapter 12

"Charlotte! It's time!" Mother was shaking me awake.

"Must I do this?" I groaned and rolled onto my side.

"Yes. Now out of bed." She threw open the large window, letting in light.

I mumbled something and finally got out of my bed. My new maid, Alexandra, came in with my wedding dress. It was all white with blue accents by the hem. It was a beautiful dress made by some of the best seamstresses in town.

Keeping to tradition, I hadn't seen Henry all day or the day before. Family saw it as bad luck. I wasn't allowed to look at my reflection until the full ensemble was put together. That was just Mother's stubbornness.

"Can I look now?" I asked after hours of preparation.

"Yes." Mother turned me towards a large full-length mirror.

I looked at my reflection and was surprised with what I looked like. My hair was piled on top of my head and the dress hugged my figure as much as possible. I turned around and admired what Alexandra had done.

"You look lovely, darling. We should head to the church though." Mother helped me gather my skirts and move outside.

"Are you sure that I have to do this?" I tried to maneuver my way out of this.

"Yes." We stuffed my dress into the carriage.

I bit my lip slightly as we departed from the house. Mother was elated for me and the church was soon in sight. Anabelle greeted us when I got out.

"Charlotte! You look stunning!" She hugged me delicately.

"Thank you." I smiled and Mother went inside.

"Someone's here to see you..." Anabelle moved out of the way to reveal Eric and Gianna.

"I told you that you would see me again. I can't believe my little sister is getting married today." He said.

"Eric! Gianna!" I hugged them both.

They greeted me as if they had never left the household. Gianna looked about 4 months pregnant with a child, the father being Eric. The church bells rang twice and both Eric and Gianna sat in the back.

Anabelle handed me a bouquet of pale roses and smiled. I was nervous and my hands were shaking. Anabelle entered the church before me and looked absolutely perfect.

I took a deep breath and walked towards the front of the church and toward Henry.