1

"Woah boy," Scarlett whispered to her new Paint colt. The colt pulled along the lunge line and nickered restlessly to his play mates in the other paddock. Rambo, she had named him. For 'Rambo' meant strength and honesty. So her mother said. Scarlett tried not to think about her mother much. They didn't get along. And Christmas was coming up, it would be the first Christmas she'd have without her mother. Ever since her parents divorced. Scarlett tried working with horses non-stop since her mother left. Everyone would try talk to her about it. That's what she didn't want. To talk.
So she kept busy with the horses.

The 8 month-old-colt trotted inquisitively around the yard, his tiny hooves flicking the sand up behind him. He gave another whinny, this one sounded as if he was proud. He even trotted with his legs a little higher and his chin a little taller. "Silly boy." Scarlett smiled at Rambo and turned her back to him. She waited.
The colt stopped and looked at Scarlett for a while, then walked up to her for a sniff. Every breath he took looked as if he was a fiery dragon, breathing curiosity and play into the world. Though Scarlett knew it was frost, she liked to imagine.

Scarlett turned around and praised him for coming in. Registering the familiar, comforting touch of Scarlett's hands, Rambo leaned into her rubs, relaxing. It seemed as if he was saying to her; If you're here, everything must be OK.
Scarlett was filled with warmth when she saw the trust in the colts eyes. Only a few days ago had he wanted nothing to do with her. But gradually he became to trust Scarlett and the bond between them would deepen everyday.

A warm, soft breeze blew Scarlett's hair across her face. She pushed it back and laughed at the little colt. After she had taken his halter off, he started cantering an bucking around the yard in play. She laughed at him then patted him. The colt stoped, his nostrils quivering and his head held high. As the rays of sunlight seemed to struck his coat, each chestnut and white hair on his body seemed to flame even brighter. As Scarlett rubbed the colt all over she noticed every little thing about him.
His short, fluffy little white tail always seemed to wag like a dogs when he was happy, and droop when he wanted something. His little black and white hooves stomped in frustration at the flies and his ears twitched in delight.
She loved this little colt with all her heart. Ever since her mare Whisper gave birth to him. Sadly Whisper died at the birth, the vet doesnt know why. He said that he'd have to look into it more. Scarlett didn't care, there was nothing they could do about it know anyways. Though she did dread the friendly face she'd wake up to, and get to pat everyday. Who wouldn't?

Scarlett turned Rambo out to the paddock, back with his playmates. She followed him for a bit, watching his fluffy tail swish and his mane fly. Every now and then Rambo would slyly look back at her. As if he was saying "you still following?" It thrilled Scarlett to have a little bundle of joy roaming her paddocks. She was fascinated by him. He was different, she thought. Definitely.
As Rambo met up with his buddies he let out a squeal and kicked back his hooves cheekily before cantering off with the others. Scarlett watched them with surprise until they were out of sight.

➰➰➰➰➰➰➰➰

When Scarlett got back to the Barn she decided to saddle up Dusty. Dusty was an ex-trotter, he used to do the cart races. Scarlett was asked if she could re-break him, so she took the challenge to keep herself busy and because the owner didn't know anyone else to go to.

Scarlett headed down the barn hallway and to the end, was the tack room. She grabbed Dusty's bridle with a snaffle bit, his wintec stock saddle and his gel saddle pad. Not to shabby, she thought to herself. When she walked out the tack room she bumped into the stable boy, Tom. Scarlett dropped her bridle and helmet when they bumped and she went to get it but Tom had beat her to it. She looked up at him with an awkward smile. "Uh-aha, thanks." She grabbed the bridle and put the helmet on her head without clipping it up.
"No worries." Scarlett looked at him in complete awe. His teeth were north-pole white and his dark pushed back hair matched his beautiful green eyes. His jawline was perfect and his lips were a gorgeous colour. It was as if she was looking at the most well bred Quarter Horse she'd ever seen. But there was a slight difference. Tom was a human boy, not a purebred great conformation all time bloodline Quarter Horse.

Scarlett smiled at him -normally- then continued walking to Dusty's stall. She heard Toms boot heels hitting the cobblestone ground behind her, he was following her. Dread instantly filled her and she slightly rolled her eyes as she opened Dusty's stall.
"So whatcha doing with this big guy." He tilted his head a little to the side and rubbed Dusty's forehead. Scarlett began to brush him.
"Might just do a little flat work then go out on a trail. I've got to focus on keeping his feet moving and the right side of his brain working. If I do that, he'll begin to get less lazy." Her eyes met Toms, he looked as if he'd seen a ghost.
"Oh..uh-" he didn't get to finish because Scarlett cut him off.
"Not trying to be rude or anything, but if you know nothing about horses, why are here?" Yes, Tom was drop-dead gorgeous, but also drop-dead annoying.
Tom raised his hands up as if to surrender. "Aye, call down. I just need a little money that's all, plus, our dads are mates and my dad thought getting a little fresh country air would be nice for me." She cringed at the words 'country air'.
"Oh, nice." Scarlett put the curry comb down and picked up a dandy brush. She fake-threw it at Tom and he flinched. "Where are you really from?" She laughed.
Tom felt a little embarrassed and betrayed at her 'joke' she tried to play, but he kept it cool. "Sydney. I was going to go to uni but decided to take a gap-year."
Scarlett shrugged.
"Not bad. You know, I hear that most don't end up even going to uni when they take a 'gap year'." Her face was blank. She tried hard not to give him any wrong ideas.
"Haha, yeah. Dunno bout that. My parents want me to decide by Christmas. If I don't they said that they'll dis-own me." He burst out laughing but Scarlett's face was still blank. The fact that Tom put Christmas and parents into one sentence unsettled her. Then he said, "What are you doing for Christmas?" He began to lean on the stall door, trying to get her to pull a face or show at least a little expression. She couldn't take it. Scarlett tried hard not to look at him since she was tearing up.
"I don't want to get my head to full of questions before I work with a horse. I want a clear mind before I do. So please stop talking to me. Besides, don't you have stable boy things to do?" She began to brush harder and faster. Signalling him she's obviously mad.
Without a word, he walked away.

As Scarlett pulled up the girth Dusty backed up. "Easy boy," she cooed. That was another thing she had to work on. Girth strapping.
To stop him moving she flexed his head to where she was and she did it up again. With a grunt a flicker of ears going back, it was nice and snug. Scarlett's hand rubbed his belly then she patted his neck. "Good boy Dusty. You're getting better at that."
"And you're getting better with the horses." Scarlett swung around to the stable door, only to find her Da leaning against it.
"You scared me!" A smile grew on Scarlett's face and lightly punched him.
"You scared Tom, I asked him up to the house for tea and he told me that you said to bugger off?" Da raised an eyebrow and opened the stall door, he began to stroke Dusty's neck.
"Oh, yeah I guess I did. He was annoying me." She smiled and hugged Da. "Love you."
"Haha, love you too. Now get goin' before it gets dark. I'm cooking spag bowl." He winked playfully at her and walked out. Scarlett glanced at her watch, 3:56pm. She grabbed Dusty's bridle and her gentle hands slid the steel bit into his warm mouth. He was getting better at that too.
"So, where to today boy?" Dusty snorted and shook his head. "Haha, ok let's just go." Scarlett raised her leg and put her boot in the stirrup, then swung herself over and into the saddle.