Chapter 2: Dauntless Initiation

After everyone had jumped, we were led to the initiation dormitory by Four, the boy who helped people down from the net.
     "This is where you transfers will be staying," he informed us. "The Dauntless born will be trained separately to you in the hope of fairness." Someone scoffed. It was Peter, already identifying himself as the resident dickhead. It surprises me how different two transferred Candors can be - while Christina shares Peter's somewhat brutal honesty, Peter was just up for challenging anyone and everyone that came into his field of view. He was particularly fond of insulting Tris, the Abnegation girl or 'Stiff' he constantly called her. She did look weak compared to those here at Dauntless, even compared to Erudite and Candor who do next to no physical work. But, she had a fire inside her, and you could tell that from miles away.
     "Fair to them, yeah!" Peter and his goons laughed. While Peter was aesthetically appealing, with olive skin similar to my tan from working in the fields and bright green eyes, his personality was utterly repulsive.
     "Continue to speak out of line, initiate, and you'll answer to someone much stronger than you." Eric, who has tattoos down his neck and piercings in his face that moved as he talked, said as he strode into our dorms. Peter shut up immediately, though kept a defiant look on his face.
     "As I was saying," Four continued, "grab yourselves a bunk and familiarise yourself with these surroundings. The bathroom are down there," he pointed down the hall. There were no doors. Mutters erupted among the initiates. "Dauntless is not for the self conscious."
    We walked down towards the 'bathroom' and saw no cubicles, just toilets and showers. There didn't seem to be a gender separation either. Well, this is certainly interesting.
     "Get changed, burn these clothes, and meet us in the Pit." Eric instructed, "Get moving!" The bustle started as we found our beds. Tris, Christina, Will, Al, and I claimed beds next to each other, Peter and his goons getting those opposite. Gross.
     "Strip, Stiff!" Peter chanted as Tris began to change out of her grey Abnegation clothes, his confidence returning once the instructors were out of the room.
     "Back off, Candor." I snapped back at him. Probably not my wisest move to date, but I cannot stand to be an observer.
     "Wow, not very peaceful for an Amity now, are you?" Peter growled back. I scowled and unbuttoned my dress, to wolf whistles from the opposite side of the room. "You do know how to work your body better than the Stiff though!" This comment gained laughter from across the room.
     "Seriously, Peter, shut it." I turn to him in nothing but my underwear, "I don't care who you think you are. I don't care where any of us came from. We're all just wannabe Dauntless. So stop acting like a tool, alright? Or I'll call the Big Bad Eric back in here and watch you cower." That shut him up. Peter lowered his eyes and bundled up his blue clothes before stomping out of the room. I gained cheers and applause from the majority of the room, and took a little bow.
     Everyone thinks Amity are pushovers; no leaders, no backbone, just working to Erudite. Little do they realise we control their food, their livelihood. Without us, no one could survive. I'm hardier than any other transfer here just by that fact, and I keep it close.

* * *

     After chucking our old clothes in the incinerator, we go to the Pit and into the cafeteria. There's so much food there we don't make in Amity, that I select small portions of everything on offer and walk with a slight skip in my step to the table with Christina and everyone else.
     "That's not a plate, that's a mountain!" Al laughs, with a mouth full of cake. I grin back at him and raise my eyebrows.
     "So, were you a transfer?" I almost choke on the mash I had just shovelled into my mouth. Tris addressed Four, who was sitting just down from her, opposite me. I tentatively look up at him, and he gives the reaction I was expecting.
     "What makes you think you can talk to me about that?" He says through pursed lips. Tris fumbles over her words, and Four continues, "it doesn't matter where you're from. Just that you're Dauntless now. You'll do well to remember that, Stiff." He picks up his plate and walks away.
     "Smooth, Tris," Will chuckles and Christina shoves his shoulder, playfully scolding him. Tris frowns, and plays with her food, her cheeks bright red.