Chapter 13

Muros and Danaya stopped to get their bearings after using her ivictus to reappear in an empty corridor.  Just in front of them, the corridor veered to the right.  Muros was cautiously peering around the bend. 

The corridor's little light came from some lamps on the walls and his side profile was silhouetted.

From here, she could see the rugged angle of his jawline which was emphasized by his beard, and the curl of his hair on the nape of his neck.  She wondered what he was thinking.

He suddenly turned and locked gazes with her and she couldn't look away.

He had a fierce blazing look in his eyes.  When he put his arm around her, cupped her jaw and leaned toward her, she didn't struggle.

The fire in his eyes was in stark contrast to the gentle touch of his lips.  His kiss was achingly sweet as if he was holding back.

When he released her, she gasped for breath.

"I will do whatever it takes, Danaya, to help you get your gem back."

What was he planning?  She had no more time to think as he was already moving forward.

"Stay here until I can make sure the coast is clear."

Before she could protest, he had gone around the corner and out of her sight.

She fumed quietly.  Did he really think she would stay behind?  She didn't wait for him to return but used her ivictus and willed herself to teleport closer to him.  When she appeared inside a cavern, she realized she was right behind some rocks.  She cautiously peeked out and saw Muros with his back to her.  His swords were out and he was pointing them at Hagorn.  The king of Hathoria was empty-handed, however, and seemed to be speaking with Muros, instead.

"Now, Muros, I didn't kill you and Danaya because I believe we can still come to an understanding that will benefit us both."  Hagorn's voice was soft and persuasive. "All you have to do is help me get the rest of the gems and we can end this war.  I shall be generous with you and let you and Danaya live."  He smiled knowingly.  "I know you care for her."

Danaya's breath caught in her throat.  Muros turned slightly sideways and Danaya saw him smirk.  "I would rather die than betray her or any of the sang'gres I serve."

Hagorn's eyes narrowed dangerously, "Then you will die with them."

Muros' voice rang out, "But not before I challenge you.  Face me like a man, Hagorn, or have you forgotten how to fight?"

Hagorn growled, drew his sword and attacked.  Muros stood his ground and met Hagorn's onslaught.  Their swords clashed and clanged loudly as Muros continued to swing his swords and deftly moved to evade Hagorn's strikes.

Danaya rushed out, "Hagorn!"

Muros didn't turn but shouted instead, "Sang'gre Danaya, stay back!"

Both men jumped back to prepare for their next move.  Muros knew what he had to do.  He had to risk it and he couldn't allow himself to be distracted. 

Taking a deep breath, he charged.  He ducked to avoid Hagorn's first swing but then moved closer to Hagorn, who saw his chance and stabbed Muros at his side. 

Muros grunted as he let the sword pierce his side. 

"Muros!" He dimly heard Danaya's agonized shout.

At the same moment, with all of his remaining strength, he used his other sword to strike Hagorn's exposed arm. 

Surprised and in pain, Hagorn pulled back and stared at the large, bleeding wound on his arm.  Muros fell to his knees and then sank to the ground.

As Hagorn brought out the gem of earth to heal himself, Danaya vanished and quickly reappeared beside him, grabbing his arm, as she shouted, "Gem of earth, return to your true keeper!"

The gem flickered and transferred to Danaya's hand and she quickly vanished again before Hagorn could recover.

"Pashneya!"  Hagorn shouted in fury, "Hadezars, kill them all!"

Danaya bent over Muros and her hand shaking, summoned her gem.  "Please heal him."  Her tears fell without warning, "Muros, please.  I can't lose you, too."

His wound was deep and he had lost a lot of blood.  The gem had barely started healing him when the hadezars swarmed into the cavern.