Approval

I set the ring down on the desk in front of me. Plink.

"I wish to marry your niece."

The rather preoccupied bearded man, who hadn't heard me enter the dark-lit attic, looked up from counting a stack of coins at the sound of my voice. The room was littered in organized chaos: papers and files were strewn about, coins balancing precariously atop each other in short stacks, and a thick layer of dust resting on every surface available. The distinct stench of someone who hasn't left the room for weeks lingered in the air. It proved difficult to distinguish his features, considering the room was lit only by a single candle stub. Despite the smell, I must say he is a smart man. He seems to know that knowledge is power is time is money.

"And you are?" He stated gruffly.

"Rikkard. Rikkard Ambrose, sir."

When he heard this, he narrowed his eyes, causing his bushy brows to furrow together as he scrutinized my visage. I maintained a stoic expression, rivaling his piercing gaze with my own.

"As in the richest man in London Rikkard Ambrose?"

"Indeed."

He raised one of his furry brows.

"And which one of my nieces do you wish to marry?"

"Lillian," I stated, my back ramrod straight. Who else?

At hearing her name uttered from my lips, his left brow shot up to meet the other one. His face bore a slightly shocked expression. It didn't last long, as his mouth pressed back into a grim line.

"Lillian? You realize that she despises all men, correct?" This shook me out of my reverence and I returned my attention back to the bearded man in front of me.

"I am aware of that, sir." More than you will ever know. I have been referred to as a "bloody chauvinistic bastard" roughly two hundred eighteen times and counting. "However, with your consent, I wish to inform her of my proposal," I said curtly.

He stared at me for a long moment, approximately one minute and twenty-four seconds to be precise, almost enough to make me shift uneasily, until he nodded his head towards the antiquated chair situated in front of his desk.

"Have a seat, boy. We shall discuss this further."

*******

"You realize I shall not pay you a dowry. Not a single coin!" Lillian's uncle Bufford stated brusquely.

No dowry? Is he bloody serious? The cost of a wedding is outrageous... I felt myself physically shudder at the thought of useless flora scattered about, expensive food on china plates, paired with expensive cutlery, the amount of time used for planning and preparation...

Indeed? And what about seeing your ifrit clad in a lace white dress, vowing to always be by your side? The amount of time saved from having to dispose of her suitors? The knowledge of having her all to yourself? The warmth of holding her in your arms as you both drift to sleep?

Well, when you look at it that way...

"That... is adequate, sir," I concluded.

"Really?" The man raised his furry brow yet again; eyeing me suspiciously. I wouldn't be surprised if his eyebrows grew legs and crawled away. "One would assume the richest man in London would expect a rather large sum of money in exchange of marriage," he continued.

"I wish to marry her. Regardless of a dowry or not." I stated unwaveringly.

The old man considered this. A thoughtful silence lapsed over the two of us, the only noise coming from the pendulum grandfather clock ticking behind the old man. I entertained myself by counting the number of dust motes that passed through the dim candlelight out of the corner of my eye. Three hundred twenty-nine, three hundred thirty, three hundred thirty-one... After approximately four minutes and twenty-six seconds, he spoke gruffly:

"You really love her, don't you?" The question caught me off guard, for a second.

"Yes." I stated simply.

Lillian. For the past two months and six days, I had been contemplating this decision. I couldn't get her out of my mind. Those fiery brown eyes, her wild hair, not to mention her rather generous behind... I came to the realization that she meant more to me than I ever thought someone would. Ever since the day she weaseled her way under my employ, she had been driving me up the wall with madness. I had spent many sleepless nights with her image burning in the back of my eyelids.

Memories of all of those trips we ventured on together came back to me. Fleeing Dalgliesh's men with her on a mine cart, forcing her into a lifeboat on the Urania, riding camel-back with her during the hot desert days in Egypt, her swearing at me in Arabic, pressing her up against a tree in the Amazon Jungle... Good God! The feel of those lips on mine, her body pressing up against me...

And the idea of seeing her across the aisle, in a flowing white gown, looking up at me with those warm brown eyes as I slid the ring onto her finger, sent my pulse racing.

"My niece... she is a unique one. You know she once came to me and asked me to reduce her allowance?" He stated in disbelief.

At hearing that, the corner of my mouth twitched upwards. Perhaps she was content with my meager paychecks after all. Given, you never really deducted any money from them even when you said you would...

"And may I ask how exactly you met my niece?"

Well, you see, sir, I met her at a polling station where she was dressed in your clothes pretending to be a man, proceeded to get arrested, and then forced her way under my employ as my secretary, travelling with me across the seas to fight bandits and search for treasure. Oh, and we've engaged in some wild, passionate debauchery along the way.

"It's a long story."

"I have time," he said, raising an eyebrow in question.

And so I delved into the wild story of our affiliation, making sure to leave out the parts that would make a sinner himself blush. I told him of her working under me as my secretary, the various trips that we journeyed to expand my empire, the times she proved herself to be an equal to yours truly. Despite the excruciating amount of time the story took to tell, I needed to convince this man to give me his permission to marry Lilly. And if he didn't? You would probably marry her anyways. True.

"...And that is how we came to know each other."

By the end of my story, both of his eyebrows had risen to the top of his gleaming forehead once again. He was rendered speechless, trying to digest all that I had just told him. The man studied me with his dark, beady eyes for approximately two minutes and fifteen seconds. I saw something change in his eyes before he stood up from his chair. I immediately stood up after him, meeting his gaze steadily.

"Your answer, Mr. Bufford? May I marry your niece?" I questioned calmly.

However, on the inside, I could feel my heartbeat quickening in anticipation of his response. The ticking of the clock seemed to slow as I waited. Would he reject me? Throw me out of his office and toss the ring out of the window? That ring was damn expensive!

He eyed me for a moment longer before decidedly extending his hand in front of him. I stared at his hand for a moment, stunned, then looked at his face. I could detect the slightest hint of a smile underneath that bushy beard. I raised my arm and shook his hand firmly, meeting his gaze.

"Welcome to the family, Mr. Ambrose."

Aaaah! This was my first fanfic. Hope you liked it! :)
-T