Day 42 - On the Road

They left at around 2AM for the 6-8hr trip to Baler, Aurora, a province northeast of Metro Manila. Just the two of them. No Ate Ann and Inspector Ryan, not even Kuya Pekto.

A/N: Si Dona Aurora po ay asawa ni Manuel L. Quezon kaya magkatabi ang probinsiya nila. Wala lang.

And RJ cannot hide his smile as he starts the engine, this despite his apprehension of what they'll find when they reach their destination.

Maine glanced at him while she settled in her seat at the passenger side, complete with a throw pillow. "Yung ngiti mo Tisoy, abot hanggang Mars. Umamin ka, planado mo talaga 'to. Gusto mo ko talaga masolo."

"Masama ba? Ang bait talaga ni Ate Ann, no?"

There's only a handful of vehicles as they join the main road en route to the North expressway.

"Nagkataon lang na may mga appointments sa pasyente yon, pero naaamoy ko na ang pagsunod niya or nila, I cannot count out Inspector, pag hindi tayo nakauwi agad. Hindi mo ba narinig lahat ng bilin? Eto o, nagsend pa ng message. Tawag agad pagdating. Huwag papatayin at isa-silent ang phone, baon ng charger, achuchu at achuchu pa. Ate na, nanay at tatay pa, sa'n ka pa, sakay na!"

"Natural lang yon, boyfriend mo ang kasama mo. You're not alone. There's a twin message in my phone, not just from your sister but from my mom as well. Hindi rin ako magtataka kung pababalikin nila si Kuya Pekto galing sa probinsiya para sundan tayo."

"But what do you really have in mind? Why go after your former cardiologist?"

"Just think mahal. According to my medical records, I had a cardiac arrest around this time 10 years ago, which caused me to be brought the ICU. Kinulit lang ni Daddy si Dra. Daisy, even saying money is not a problem. Then boom, I have a heart a few days later? How was she able to find a donor that soon when we've been waiting for months. Then she has the same surname as Dr. Alvin? Who wouldn't be suspicious?"

"But why the secrecy of this trip? Puwede naman tayong magpunta on Monday and file it as an official investigation activity? Bakit ayaw nating ipaalam?"

"Because this is just a wild guess on my part. The fewer people who knows, the better. Puwedeng false lead, puwedeng nagkataon lang na pareho sila ng surname. But whatever it is, mabuti nang wala masyado makaalam. I'm still apprehensive on the result of the investigation on Dr. Alvin's death. If there's really foul play, then we need to be extra careful. We are one of the last people that he talked to before his accident."

"Tama ka. At siguradong they will find out that we were near the NBI office on the day of the accident. So you mean we might be invited for questioning or something?"

"If they're smart, they will."

"Teka, maiba ko mahal. Ikaw ba ay may clearance sa doktor mo for this long drive? Dalawa lang tayo, hindi kita kayang buhatin. Sinasabi ko sa 'yo, iiwan kita."

He took his hand from the wheel to put it across when it was a throw pillow and her her leg that met his hand. He grinned. How smart this girl is. So that's what the throw pillow is for. "Marunong ka naman ng CPR at mouth to mouth resuscitation, diba? You've done it before; you can do it again."

"If I know, ibang mouth to mouth resuscitation ang gusto mo."

"A girl after my own heart. According to my doctor, I just need to avoid sustaining wounds because I'm very prone to infection. And I wouldn't be surprised if my mom did not send you the schedule of my meds. Did she?"

Maine retrieves a message and showed it to him. "Complete with dosage and time. How about your stress level?"

"I just successfully completed my series stress tests, thank you very much. Ready for light to medium physical activities. Ano bang klaseng streneous activity ba ang nasa isip mo?" He saw her fierce look when he glanced at her. "I mean, hindi naman siguro tayo magwawall climbing and other extreme activities, the worse is lakad lang siguro. Bakit kasi ang tapang ng tingin mo? May sinabi ba kong ayaw mo? Madali naman akong kausap."