The Island

When the Mark of Mastery exam came to a close, it was only Riku who was dubbed with the title of Keyblade Master. Though Sora seemed happy for him, Riku couldn't shake the feeling of guilt off his shoulders. Of course, Riku was happy to be bestowed the honor of being titled Master, but Sora had gone through so much as well. He learned how to use the keyblade completely from scratch. Even if the keyblade was supposed to go to Riku, Sora learned to wield it even without being chosen. Riku thought that Sora deserved the title of Master just as much as Riku did, if not more.

Riku sat on the usual bent tree, watching the ocean. The group decided to relocate to Destiny Islands for a day, to take a break from Kairi and Axel's training. Riku thought it was nice to come back to the island, even for just a day. It brought back the old childhood memories of him, Sora, and Kairi. And how they all wanted to leave island and go on an adventure. Thinking about those times made Riku chuckle, considering where they are now in life.

"Hey Riku! Whatre you doing up here?"

Riku jolted upright and turned around to see Sora, grinning with his arms behind his head.

"S-sora, I thought you were asleep." Riku stammered.

"Me? Nah, can't sleep when you have to save the world!" Sora exclaimed. "What about you Riku? Aren't you supposed to be asleep?"

Riku rolled his eyes.

"I just wasn't tired." He said, turning back to the ocean.

"Oh." Sora laughed and smiled sheepishly. "Hey, Riku! Wanna take a walk with me? We can go to the secret place! I'll race you!"

Riku grinned as he felt the spark if childish competition rise.

"You're on."

With that, the two boys took off towards the cave hidden away by the palm leaves. The cave that caused this whole journey to start for them.

Riku managed to get there first, as usual. Sora eventually caught up to him, bending over and panting.

"Now the score's 36 to 10." Riku mocked with a triumphant smile.

"Yeah? Well, I'll get you the next time!"

After the boys had a quick laugh, they went into the cave. Riku looked over all the old drawings and carvings, remembering coming here with Sora and drawing these crude little doodles onto the cave walls. Riku drags his hand across the wall, tracing over all the drawings, reminiscing about the simpler times.

Then Riku sees the doodle of Sora, feeding the Papou fruit to Kairi, and Kairi giving it back to him.

Riku felt a sting in his heart, looking at this small drawing. It reminded him of a lot of things. About the relationship that Sora and Kairi have, that he and Sora would never. How he betrayed them in the end, and tore apart their relationship. It hurt him, it really did. It reminded him about how much of a mess up he was, and made him feel as if he didn't deserve the Master title even more.

"Hey, uh Riku."

Riku rapidly turned around and pressed his back to the wall, nervously adjusting his posture.

"Yeah Sora?"

Uh.." Sora looked a bit embarrassed. "Kairi never made you one of her good luck charms, did she..."

Riku's heart ached.

"No, she didnt. But hey, it's alright. I understand why... I was, not in the right mind at the time." He said, swallowing his own pride. "You've always been the light to her darkness you know. So..."

Sora shook his head.

"Don't be such a downer Riku. Kairi cares about you just as much as she cares about me." He said, and then reached into his pocket. "Sooooo...Ta-dah!" Sora whipped out a star-shaped keychain, made of blue seashells. It was extremely crudely made, and bent at odd angles. But Riku could make out a little drawing of his own face on the charm.