Chapter 6

Jacob slept later than he thought because when he rolled over and opened his eyes, the bed was empty. He blinked looking at the clock it was only 9am, but Cassandra didn't seem to be around. The bathroom door was open, her dress hung on the back of the door, her bag was zipped and sitting next to the door.

So she was an earlier riser than he was apparently. He sighed, he'd hoped to get her alone this morning. He was going to have to talk to her in the car then.

Since he wasn't going to be able to talk to her until later, he indulged in a long shower and took his time getting downstairs.

"'Bout time you woke up Jake," his brother in law Allen said, pointing him towards the coffee pot. "Fresh pot of coffee over there. You want bacon with your eggs?"

"Sounds good. Have you seen Cassandra this morning?"

"Oh, she's out in the backyard. Tommy Langston came over about fifteen minutes ago to talk to her."

It was a good thing Stone had put the coffee cup on the counter to pour or it would have hit the floor. As it was, he splashed coffee on his hand and gave out a bit of a yelp.

"You okay over there Jake?"

"Yeah, I just missed the cup a little. Not awake." He grabbed a paper towel and cleaned up the mess and then headed out of the kitchen toward the sliding door in the living room which faced the backyard.

Tommy and Cassandra were talking in the backyard, too far away for him to make out what they were saying or for them to really notice they were being watched. Not they would have noticed anyway, they seemed to only have eyes for each other. Smiling and laughing.

Then Cassandra took a pad of paper and a pen out of her purse and scribbled something on it. Then she threw her arms around Tommy's neck and hugged him.

And for the second time since he'd met her, Jacob Stone's heart shattered.

--

"So then I asked her out and she said yes," Tommy beamed. "I cannot thank you enough for everything, Cassandra."

"You're very welcome. The only thing I want in return is for you to tell me how it goes. Hang on, I'll give you my phone number. " She grabbed the little pad and pen she kept in her purse and wrote her number on the slip of paper.

She handed it to him and he promised he'd call or text her. Then they exchanged grins again and Cassandra impulsively hugged him.

"I am so so happy for you."

"Well now . . ." He awkwardly patted her back. "Well, if we're even a bit as happy as you and Stone are, then it's worthwhile."

She smiled back at him, releasing the hug. "I sure hope so."

He tipped his hat to her and then turned and walked out the back gate. She saw Stone standing by the back door and smiled and headed back to the house.

--

She smiled warmly at him, but he didn't return the gesture.

"You ready to go?" He asked, his voice a little curt.

Cassandra was taken aback. After everything, she expected him to be like he was last night, charming, not short with her and grumpy. Maybe he was just not really a morning person.

"Did you have breakfast? Maybe we should . . . ."

"Cassandra, I just want to go home. You want to gather your things?"