Chapter 17

Meg POV

A few days later, I'm walking around the hospital, just making sure that everything is in order. Stiles has taken Scott out with him on patrol today. I've heard that the werewolf is not so great with weapons, but he can be really good at hand to hand fights, considering he is a werewolf with super speed, strength, claws, fangs and all. That visit to Scott's warehouse where his and Stiles' friends and family live wasn't exactly what I was expecting. I don't think any of us were expecting that. I feel really sorry for Scott. That must've been hard, coming back to his base to hear that his mother had been killed while he was away. He looked really upset... And angry. Especially when we found out that his mom was killed by the infected. When Scott and Stiles got back from that other building to see Scott's mom's body, Scott still looked really devastated. Stiles looked a little uncomfortable and perhaps a little guilty. Why? Why on earth would he blame himself for Scott's mother's death? It doesn't make sense. Stiles wasn't even here when it happened.

Scott's patrols while we were at the warehouse were very thorough. Scott would be out for long periods of time. Sometimes, he would come back covered in blood. He is really starting to get his hands dirty. I didn't think it was in his nature to kill easily, but I think something inside Scott snapped when his mom died. I think Stiles is worried too. He told me that Scott has vowed to not rest until all the infected are dead. I noticed a flash of fear in Stiles' eyes when he said that. The two of them are trying to move forward with it and I will say that they're doing well given the circumstances, but I can still see Scott's grief and determination to kill the infected in his eyes. I can see Stiles' discomfort, fear and shame in his eyes. I need to find a way to fix that somehow. I owe that much to Stiles, since he has saved my life on multiple occasions.

As I tend to a patient in the infirmary, I hear vehicles pulling up outside the hospital. I hear confused conversations from outside the room as people walk by. Hmm, that's weird. The patrol isn't supposed to be back for at least three hours. I should probably go check out what's going on. I turn back to my patient and smile, reassuring her that I will be back in a minute. I then stand up and walk out of the room. I walk towards the hospital entrance. Josh runs up to me in a hurry. "Meg! What the hell is going on? Why is are there military and government officials here?" Josh asks me worriedly. I frown in confusion.

"What? I have no idea." I reply, fear starting to settle in my stomach.

"You better go talk to them. Stiles left you in charge while he was gone." Josh tells me. I nod stiffly. I don't like being left in charge because I'm not a leader. I can't make huge decisions for the group, especially the decisions that are heartbreaking, but are obviously the right call. I can't inspire people like Stiles seems to be able to. Some people have it and others don't, I guess. Still, I better go see what these guys want. I thank Josh and walk out of the hospital to see a group of about men walking towards us. By just looking at them, I can see that some of them definitely used to be in the military. The others must be involved in the government somehow. Or used to be anyway.

"Uh, how can I help you?" I ask, trying to be polite, noticing all the powerful weaponry they have. These guys could kill me in an instant if I say the wrong thing. One of the guys step forward. He is tall, has oily jet black hair, piercing blue eyes and a muscular build. He holds his gun firmly in his hand, ready to fire if need be. Thankfully he doesn't have it aimed at me. The man smiles politely at me.

"Hello, ma'am. I am General Graham Boltz. As you can probably tell, these guys behind me are all from the military and government base. We have been travelling all over the country to find the survivors of the initial outbreak. It's good to see that a large number of people have survived in the United States. Of course, many have died in this tragedy and we will never forget them." The man informs me.