Silent

I walked the halls of St. Peters Academy, clutching my school supplies, not wanting it to escape my grasp.

I casted my gaze downwards, as always, looking at the various shoes among the marble tiled floor, all going different directions to their destination.

I could feel others' shoulders hit against my own without a single apology.

"Hey, look!" a familiar broad voice said. I cringed, knowing what was going to happen next. "It's that freak!"

I felt as if another label was slapped on me, among with all the other ones I've been called. As if I didn't have a name. As if I didn't even deserve one.

But hey, who could blame them? I am a nobody. I am a maniac. I am a psychopath. I am a freak.

I   a m   a   m u r d e r e r .

I mean, killing your best friend isn't normal, is it?

A strong push knocked me into the lockers, snapping me out of my dark thoughts, my grasp on my school supplies scatter along the floor.

"What, is the killer planning another murder?"

Another label slapped onto me.

I stayed silent. Unlike others, I didn't want to start a fight. But even if I did, what would I say?

'Oh, he deserved to die'?

I highly doubt that would help me in any situation.

The bell rings, signaling next period. The hallways quickly dispersed of people, leaving just those two and I.

"Let... me go." I pleaded, wanting to leave desperately.

"Why should I?" the bully questioned, as if daring me to say another word.

"I..." I trailed off, wanting to tell the whole story, but even if it was the truth, I had no evidence to back it up.

His grip loosened on my collar, and relief washed over me. I hastily picked up my stuff, and headed to first period.

The late bell rung right after I entered the classroom. That was close.

"Try to come here earlier next time," the teacher snapped at me.

I merely nodded and headed to my seat in the back, near the window.

The teacher babbled on, causing me to turn my head towards the window.

The grass and trees were swaying in the direction of the wind, the sky was a nice blue, the sun shining amongst it all.

It was calm, peaceful; nothing like the life I was living.

Before I knew it, the bell rung, but once again, the teacher lectured on, saying that the bell doesn't signal you to leave, the teacher does.

I slowly went back in my seat, like the rest of my classmates.

With a sigh I turned back to the window, wanting to escape my life.

As always, my thoughts were drifted back to how my life changed.

In one single second.

I heard my name being called by my best friend.

"Shawn?!" I called back out. This was followed by silence.

'Damn it,' I thought, and ran around the cobblestone streets.

"Shawn?" I called out once again, but this time quieter.

A whisper came out, close that I could hear the words come out clearly; "Kill... me..."

It was the voice I had heard for years, one that would brighten my day, one that would comfort me, one that would protect me...

"Kill... me... End my misery... End this living Hell we call Earth...please..." he pleaded.

Right next to his lying body was a silver pistol.

"I-I can't..." I replied, my voice shaky. "I-I can't kill you..."

"Please," his voice lower than a whisper.

Seeing his miserable face, and the condition he was in, I hesitantly picked up the pistol.

I aimed it right at him, my hands uncontrollably shaking. With my eyes closed, I pulled the trigger.

In a haste, I opened my eyes to reveal a gun shot right through his heart.

I wanted to scream right then and there.

I dropped the gun and ran.

I ran without a destination, using the wind to dry my tears and the scenery to make me forget.

"MURDER!" a woman's voice screamed with terror. Lights flickered on in the buildings, people going out of their houses, faces filled with confusion.

The next day, it was on national television.

Of course, no one knew the whole story, but I don't intend to.

The teacher called my name, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"It's second period." I nodded, grabbed my stuff, and walked in the direction of my next class.

Instead of the group from last time, a new one emerged, taunting me.

I didn't give them the satisfaction and ignored them. This made them beat me up.

But I stayed silent.