prologue

The tall blonde boy stumbled into the Manhattan apartment, hardly being able to hold his eyes open as the front door slammed shut behind him in a hurry. His mind was a pot of stirring thoughts - no doubt because of the numerous shots he'd taken - and caused him to only stare at Elle with a blank face.

She lay asleep on the L-shaped couch that sat parallel to the wall of windows but still visible to any entrees of the apartment, her hands under her head and still in her work clothes. She was no doubt up again waiting for Luke to get home for the dinner he'd promised her and he couldn't help but feel a pang of guilt for the girl who slept still in front of him.

It was already 2am when he made his way to the kitchen as another wave of guilt hit him in the chest. Two plates of food sat ready to eat on the counter but were now stone cold. Still, he was sober enough to remember the countless times that this had happened over the past couple months since the band split - Elle would wait for him to get home every night and wouldn't eat without him until he was home safe, which only made the Australian boy feel worse for his ongoing attachement to alcohol.

He didn't like to call himself an alchoholic, because he didn't want to believe he was. The smell of vodka and smoke on his worn out, ashy blue jean jacket however, said otherwise. It wasn't his fault though - he didn't have anything to do now that 5 Seconds of Summer no longer existed and no amount of money could distract him from the boredom that had taken over his life. Any sort of beverage that could get him drunk was the only solution.

Elle hadn't seen Luke properly in weeks. He was in the house when she was asleep and by the time she woke the next morning, he was gone with only the reminiscence of his comforting cologne on the pillowcase to keep her company.