L

Finally, after ten years, I finally have a home and a family to call my own. I wore a nice black dress with converse because I wanted them to think of me as nice, but boyish; I wanted them to like me.

I cried with joy the moment I found out that someone actually wanted me. It's not everyday a big kid is chosen for a family.

"Y/n," the head mistress, Ms Stephanie, said, catching my attention, "it's not like you to wear a dress."

"First impressions matter." I commented.

"They like you and you've met them already." She laughed.

"Not the brother." I added, "Besides, there's nothing wrong with having them like you just a bit more."

She chuckled and after a small pause, she said, "We're gonna miss you, Y/N."

I turned and looked into her bright, amber eyes. He hair was up in a tight bun and she smiled, making her that much brighter. For years, I've seen her as my mother figure and know I get to go to a home of my own, hopefully with a family that'll show me just as much love a support this woman has.

"I'm gonna miss all of you guys too." I said, "I'd be dead if it weren't for you."

I put one of my bags down and hugged her. I looked up and she had tears in her eyes along with me.

After being abandoned for so long and having these people save me from dying of dehydration and starvation at the age of six months really tugs on your feelings, especially when you've got to leave them.

She pulled me away and looked at my eyes, "Ten-years-old and anyone with any common sense can see you're going to be the perfect woman."

I smiled and heard something. I turned to the driveway and a shiny, black sedan rolled to the front of the orphanage, I used to call home. They pulled up in front of us and Mr. Dad and Mrs. Mom stepped out of the car. They smiled from ear to ear when they saw me and hustled to me to give me a hug.

Mrs. Mom was gorgeous. She had a bright, turquoise sun dress on that fit her rather thin form with black sandals wrapped around her small feet. She gave the most heartwarming smile through her pink, full lips anyone would literally die for. She had her curly, short hair down and literally everywhere, but she made it work. Her coco skin glowed in the sun, but her chocolate eyes made her appearance look heaven like.

Mr. Dad was super handsome. He wasn't the skinniest man, but he wasn't fat either. He had on a white shirt and badge khakis that showed off his hairy legs that led to his sandals. His skin was a little brighter than Mrs. Mom's but they still showed the same effect when he sun gleamed down on them. He gave me and big, mood-lifting smile as he got closer, also making his dull, brown eyes sparkle.

"Y/N!" They cheered as they hugged me.

I hugged back and whispered, "I'm so happy." We soon pulled away and I looked at Stephanie, "Thank you."

She smiled and said, "Visit whenever. It was great raising you, Y/N. I can't wait to see what Mr. and Mrs. Cunningham have in store for you."

I glanced at them and said, "Me neither."

"Bye Y/N!" All the kids from the window screamed. I looked at them and saw all their little broken hearts through their eyes.

Being one of the older kids means you see kids come and go; building a relationship with them only to watch them leave. Ms Stephanie says it hurts them more than you and now I see why.

I waved at them as a tear rolled down my cheek. Mrs. Mom put her hands on my shoulders and said, "Ready?"

I smiled and sniffed as I nodded, leaving the tear that was rolling down my face be because feelings are feelings and this is how I feel: gloomy.