Shades of Blue

The salty air stung Lina's cheeks as she walked along the shore. Her mind was a whirlwind of thoughts as she studied her surroundings. The sun struggled to peek through the clouds and was merely a dull franc that Lina had seen on the street a few minutes before. She could practically feel the beat of the piano music in her heart as she passed by a disheveled little boy, scraping chewed gum off the street, his eyes begging for her assistance.

Lina shivered. Yesterday, during Cerise's "exclusive" Marseilles tour, she'd endlessly described the whole spiel on this once-enchanted, bustling city. "I suppose you think it's awful dreary right now," she had said. "But once the sun comes out and the trees earn their leaves back, you just wait. It'll become the most stunning place on this entire earth."

Lina had fought the urge to roll her eyes. The sun wouldn't clean up the city, would it? Or give the homeless homes? The starving food? Would the sun give the world its life back?

They had cut across the street, nearly hit by a car that whizzed past. "I know things aren't looking too good right now. But we're in a Depression, you know? Just go to Germany or America, and you'll see that France is looking pretty rich right now."

Lina sighed. She didn't think any city would ever compare to the enchanting and enrapturing village she once lived in. Even the pastel hues of pink and yellow and red would never be as lovely as the ones in her old home.

It had taken a lot of convincing for her mother to allow Lina out. Mama had been following her and Liliane in the apartment all day, hovering over them like a pesky gnat. "An hour, at most," she had commanded as she vigorously scrubbed the countertops. "I would really prefer it if you brought your sister, Lina. The city is quite dangerous..."

Lina scoffed, thinking back on the conversation as she headed toward the line of stores. As if you really cared about my safety. The thought prompted her to kick a small stone violently toward the shore. It spun in the air, causing a big kerplunk to erupt as it hit the surface of the water. Satisfied, she quickened her pace and arrived at the pastry shop right on time. Without allowing her nerves to consume her like a flame, she swung open the door and entered the shop.

"Don't do anything to anger Mama," Liliane had warned her right before she'd left.

Lina yanked her sister's warning from her mind, refusing to let it ruin her evening. Right now, she was here to listen to some music, not to worry.

The aroma of flaky croissants and fruit filling drifted into her nostrils. Lina surveyed the dimly lit room, searching for Luka. Only a smattering of people filled the room, most seated at tables with pastries in their hands. Dull conversation filled her ears as she noticed the piano stationed in the corner, the bench empty. It did say Friday at eight o' clock? she thought, anxiously tapping her fingers against her thigh.

"Would you like to order something?" A worker behind the counter interrupted her thoughts. She met his hazel eyes, accented by wrinkles. Her entire body froze as she willed herself to do something, to at least shake her head.

A warm, accented voice snuck up behind her. "I believe she is here for the concert," the pianist said, now directing his attention toward her. "Here, come with me. I have a seat for you up front." His lopsided smile prodded Lina to roll her eyes. She couldn't even believe she'd come here in the first place. His voice, in stark contrast to the dull buzz of those around her, guided her to the front of the room to a table for two right next to the piano. Luka pulled out the chair, beckoning for her to sit, but her gaze fell quickly on the piano: sleek and black, like the deepest waters of the ocean. The ivory keys were soft and glistening, like the smile now pressed on his lips. She yearned to brush her fingers across the piano, to let the music soothe her troubled soul.