-Chapter 7.2-

-Chapter 7.2 🌊 Gnomes-

Sybil's feet shifted uneasily on the deck, preparing to launch herself up and over the railing. Her palms grew slick, her limbs heavy. If she wanted to jump, now would be the time. Eyeing the rough waters thrashing up against the hull, she gulped. Surely it wouldn't be as bad once she got in. Suddenly recalling the ardent tides back home, she reluctantly acknowledged how foolish she sounded. "Ahoy, I be speaking to ye! Best ye answer me!" he threatened, stomping towards her, each footstep a knife to her chest.

Her vocabulary vanished, only one word remaining to reverberate inside her skull, 'Shite! Shite, shite, shite!'

Having faced out at the ocean for the duration of the fiasco, she hadn't a bloody clue what he looked like. Had she believed he posed no physical threat, she would've gladly turned around and confronted him, but with his gruff voice she found that hard to picture. His attitude alone led her to believe he was massive. Sybil pictured an odious troll with an eye patch and scars running down his chest and arms. He would wear no shirt, electing to show off his battle wounds. No doubt he would be twice her size, staring down at her quivering figure in disdain.

Sanji, knowing the man well, shook his head at his temperament and made no further move to help Sybil. "Blast him!" she muttered, her breaths quick.

"Eh there, turn around!"

A rough, calloused hand clasped around her wrist and pulled her away from the railing, her only escape. Spinning around, Sybil's eyes met air. "W-What?"

Sanji erupted into laughter, the other pirates joining in before the shock of realizing the cloaked swashbuckler had been Rowland sent them silent. "Down here, ye behemoth!"

Following the voice down, down, and down, Sybil's jaw dropped at the man who barely rose above her waist. He happened to be the tiniest person she had ever seen. Well, tiny could not be further from the truth. The monster from her imagination did stand in front of her, but bundled up in a three-foot package. He wore no eyepatch, although a jagged scar along his brow suggested he had been close to getting one. He had a square jaw and fiery orange hair, with a beard that went to his collarbone. A yellowish-purple bruise marred his hardened cheeks, that presently twitched in irritation. Raised skin in the middle of his forehead caught and held her attention. It formed a rune she recognized to mean Ato in the ancient tongue. The man was a gnome!

Sybil had only ever heard rumors, never did she ever think she'd be unfortunate enough to meet one, especially not on Thatcher's brigantine. Most gnomes hated the water almost as much as they hated humans. Their temper could not be rivaled and if her father's history books were correct, they held an unbridled connection to Ato. A small tribe used to seek sanctuary in the Dryad's Enclosure, but with the Capital miles south many fled. Having not seen their homeland in years hundreds went crazed with anger, crumbling villages in a fit of rage. Staring at the furious gnome, Sybil's mouth went dry. He was far worse than any troll.

To make an unpleasant situation worse, the identity of the stranger did not faze him and so his lecture continued, "Look at what we have got ourselves here lads! The pompous sea dragon himself! Speak now Rowland. Ye've clearly heard our concerns, can ye deny them with an honest soul?"

Her frazzled mind snapped back together at his query and she nodded fervently. "Aye, my soul and I have no disputes. Coming from a home where any injury, big or small, is hidden from the eyes of children, I could not have been less prepared for a scuffle at sea. That makes me a lot of things I will admit, but not pompous."

A presence, unbeknownst to the others, smiled off to the side at Sybil's retort. Sanji noticed him at that point and rolled his eyes. It could have all been avoided had he bothered to step in, but no, now it only continued. The gnome, Sanji knew to be Darhick, waved his fists in the air. "Ye still are a child then if a little gore sends ye packing! Come at me and show me yer worth if ye wish to stay, ye feaking minger!"

Dazed by his furry of fists and reddened cheeks, Sybil took a cautious step backwards. He could not be serious. "You want me to what? Are you daft?"

Abruptly stopping his movements, Darhick lunged at Sybil's shirt and yanked her close, the ship quaking at his decree. "Do ye think me incapable in a fight? Care I remind ye, me not be you!"

She knew that not to be true, but she did not wish to reveal it wasn't hurting him she was afraid of, but the other way around. "What is happening?" she cried out, glancing at Sanji for help.

In turn, he gave Thatcher a pointed stare. The Captain sighed, surprisingly looking forward to the brawl. It had been so long since he had last seen Darhick get worked up. When he first brought the gnome aboard his ship a fight became custom entertainment with burgoo, their supper. Admitting Sybil wouldn't last five seconds in a clash with the gutsy pirate, he stepped out into the open. "Avast ye devils, why aren't ye working?"

The crew scurried back to their posts at the Captain's order, but Darhick remained with his hand scrunched on Sybil's shirt. "Darhick," he spoke evenly, his threat not needing to be explained.

Growling, the gnome grudgingly let go, shoving her back in the process. "I be watching ye twat. Step out of line and I'll have ye sent to the gallows before any man can save ye."

Marching away with his head held high, Sybil gawked after him, while Thatcher and Sanji shared a look. The next few days were bound to be very interesting and come Barnaby Anabelle would surely sink.

A/N: I have been planning Barnaby's character since day one and come Monday he will finally be introduced in the story! I'm so excited! Any ideas what he might be like?

-Max-