Chapter 2: Guardian

The next morning you woke up in your own bed, confused as to how you got there. You were still in the clothes you had changed into after being patched up, which consisted of a black and white, plaid flannel, and a pair of skinny jeans.

As you looked around you noticed a sticky note on your beside table that read:

Lady (Y/N),

When I went into your room at the Medical Center yesterday I found you asleep, so I took you back up to your room and put you in your bed.

Fury said he wanted to see you when you woke.

Thor

'Aww. That was sweet of him.' You thought as you changed into a different pair of clothes, settling on a pair of dark blue skinny jeans and a tight fitting grey shirt that had the Apollo Thirteen logo on it. Underneath the logo "Failure Is Not An Option" was written in white print. You touched up your makeup, stretched your wings, and started walking down to Fury's office.

When you got to Fury's office you knocked twice on to dark, wooden door and waited for a response.

"Come in." You heard Fury's cold voice say from the other side of the door.

Timidly you walked in, wondering what Fury could possibly want with you.

"Take a seat (Y/L/N)." You did so before he continued, "I don't do things like this often, so you better feel blessed, but I'd like to commend you for your work out on the field yesterday and thank you for taking Loki down easily. You made my work and just about everyone else's work a thousand times easier."

"Thank you sir." You said before he began talking again.

"Which is why I've decided to make you his guard." Your face dropped and your gut clenched unhappily, "You've obviously shown that you can at least disable him should he escape. You're the fastest on the team, so you would be able to catch him, and you are the best with blades. You will be provided with throwing knives in case he gets too annoying." Fury finished, leaving you unhappily furrowing your brows.

You were about to protest when Fury said something that immediately changed your mind.

"Or, if you would like, I could put you on cleaning duty and then the night shift guarding the building for an unspecified amount of time."

You were quick to close your mouth, nod and stand, sensing that you had been dismissed when Fury nodded back and turned away from you.

"(Y/L/N), Thor can show you where Loki is being kept. He will give you a key and let you know what you need to know." Fury said before you could leave the room.

"Yes sir." You replied, closing the door behind you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
After a while of searching you finally found Thor standing in the kitchen by the coffee machine. He looked exhausted. Slight bags hung under his eyes and his overall posture screamed that he needed sleep.

"Hey Thor. You look terrible. How long has it been since you last slept?" You asked, completely serious and worried for your friend.

"Over twenty six hours. I stayed up all night with my brother. He was being rather annoying, and it became tiresome quickly. I would love to go to sleep, but that's simply not an option." Thor replied. You could hear the thick exhaustion in his tired voice.

"Well then, I've got some good news for you. Fury assigned me to be Loki's guard. That means you get some shut eye and I get to threaten your brother with cute little throwing knives." You stated, trying to liven up Thor's mood a bit.

Thor perked up the second you said guard. He didn't like the sound of that idea.

"No, no, no. He's far too dangerous. You're my best friend Lady (Y/N). I simply cannot allow it!" Thor bellowed angrily. It was more towards Fury, but you couldn't help but flinch a little under his suddenly intimidating form and gaze.

"I didn't ask for this job. Fury just though that I would be a good person for it and he put me on the job. He told me to see you about a key and any other directions." You said, still a little hesitant.

Thor grumbled under his breath about talking with Fury later while leading you to Loki's cell.

When you reached the cell, Thor gave you a spare key and showed you how to get in.

When you walked in, you were met by a circular glass wall and a pacing god. He looked angry, confused and all in all, just tired. You noticed the bit of bandaging peeking past the neckline of his armor, from the cut you had put on his shoulder. You bet it still hurt and smirked at the idea.

"Loki, this is Lady (Y/N) (Y/L/N). She will be guarding you from now on." Loki turned and looked at you once Thor finished. Recognition shined in his eyes as he stared at you. His gaze made you a little uneasy, making you adjust your wings uncomfortably.

"You." Was the simple, cold word that made shivers of fear secretly run down your spine. "You were the one to get me here. In this cell." Loki seethed, bitterly staring you down.

"Actually, I wasn't the one who put you there. That's probably Thor's fault, if not multiple S.H.E.I.L.D. agents. If anything I was the one to make you weak and vulnerable so you could be put it here." You corrected, confidence in your voice masking the pinprick of fear in the back of your mind.

Loki just stared at you with a look that would make Nat flinch. The anger present in his eyes was enough to fill oceans, but you didn't back down. You kept your confident gaze and your strong stance as you approached the glass.

"Don't get too close Lady (Y/N)." Thor cautioned you, barely reaching out a hand as if to grab your arm and pull you back.

You stopped where you were. A few feet in front of the glass wall. Loki's angered gaze was beginning to annoy you, so you decided to do something about it.

"You think you scare me?" You question quietly, dangerously. A surge of real confidence giving you fuel to talk down his angered gaze, "Hah! I've fought monsters ten times worse than you. I've seen things that you wouldn't want to imagine, and I've done things, terrible things, that would make a demi-god shiver in fear. You think you scare me? You don't. Because I've seen nightmares and I've lived horror stories, and honey, you look nothing like them." You finished, your voice still quiet and dangerous.

Thor stood behind you speechless as he saw Loki's gaze change. Anger ebbing away into shock. No one had spoken to Loki like that in a long time.

"I think I've proven my point." You state as you turn back to Thor, "I've got this. You go get some sleep."

Thor was quick to object, finding every possible reason to not leave his best friend in a room by herself with Loki. "What if you need rest, or Loki becomes far too annoying, or-" You cut Thor off.

"I promise you Thor, I can handle this. They don't call me Killer Strike for nothing. If he misbehaves, he'll be down in two seconds. Now, You need sleep. Bed. Now. No exceptions. No objections." You command.

Thor turned and walked out the door hesitantly, heading in the direction of his room.

Once the door closed you turned to look at Loki once more to see him sitting on the bed in his cell, staring at you with a loathing look that hid his newfound interest in the winged girl that was to be his new guardian.