sorted

The dining hall was lively as the clinking of silverware and talking filled the air

The dining hall was lively as the clinking of silverware and talking filled the air. Everyone seemed to be joyous to have returned to Hogwarts, all but the first years. The children of merely eleven were flabbergasted and in awe about the building surrounding them. Everything was so abstract, so vivacious, so magical.

One that was extremely nervous was little Rami Sebei. The Muggle-born child hardly knew that he was magical until his father sat him down and told him stories about his time at the school, how he was sorted into Ravenclaw and had some of the best years of his life there. Rami was amazed that he wielded such power, but was fearful of what the power entailed. Now enrolled in the school, he was happy to be amongst those like himself; he felt he had finally found his place in the world.

"So, what house do you think you'll be in?" A small girl with pigtails, Pamela Martinez, asked the general group. Rami had seen the girl around the Hogwarts Express, running around with her best friend, Mercedes Kaestner-Varnado, as their pet cats gleeful pounced from cabin to cabin.

"My father was a Slytherin so he hopes I am too, to continue his legacy or something like that." A blonde girl named Ashley smirked, causing Mercedes to roll her eyes.

"Honestly, I'll take anything but Hufflepuff." Kevin, a boy that Rami met on the train, shrugged. Pamela's face turned sour, a pout coming over her.

"Hey! What's wrong with Hufflepuffs?"

"Oh, nothing. Just the fact that they are a bunch of rejects." Kevin smirked, causing Pam's blood to boil.

"You take that back!" She shirked in anger.

Before Steen could make another comment, the room quieted as the headmistress, Minerva McGonagall, took position in front of the students. It had been years since Albus Dumbledore lead the school, his end was something that no one had expected. Nonetheless, McGonagall cleared her throat and bared a heart-warming smile.

"Greetings everyone. For many of you, welcome back. For our first years, welcome to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry."

As she continued to address the crowd of students and faculty, Rami found his eyes focused on something else. Next to a kid named Fergal, another boy Rami shared a cabin with, sat a girl whom he couldn't put a name to. He had seen her traveling around the train, her black cat following her wherever she went, it's tail flicking back and forth proudly. She didn't seem like the other girls: the other girls liked to play games and have fun, she liked to read and be by herself. He couldn't help but be intrigued by her because of how different she was. Oh, how he longed to meet her formally.

He perked up, though, when they began to call names to be sorted. McGonagall stood beside a wooden stool with the old and tattered Sorting Hat in her hand. It croaked as she began to read off the names.

He watched as familiar faces like Kevin, Mercedes, and Fergal had the hat placed upon their heads and were directed into their new houses. Mercedes found herself in the Slytherin house, while Fergal and Kevin both found themselves in Ravenclaw; Steen to let out a sigh of relief from that. Beside Sebei, Pamela groaned, still fuming over his earlier remarks; she hoped that him getting sorted into the house of the badger would teach him a thing or two. However, his lesson would have to wait.

"Kaufman, Alexa."

He was surprised when the girl with no name from the train stood up and started to make her way towards the front. Finally, Rami thought, a name to put to a face. She showed confidence as she walked up to the hat. While the other students sat fearfully under the hat's thoughts, she sat with a prideful smirk on her lips. Her foot seemed to tap impatiently as the hat finally made up its mind.

"Slytherin!"

The table of black and green robes hooted and hollered in pride as she gleefully made her way over to the table. Before she sat down, though, she looked back over at the red-headed boy, still waiting for his name to be called. Rami's face went up in flames as she sent him a wink. They hardly knew each other, but it became his goal to learn more about her, even if they ended up in different houses.

Both Pamela and Ashley were sorted into Hufflepuff. While Pam was ecstatic about the hat's choice, Ashley looked mortified. She thought she was nothing like Pamela was, not as bubbly and lively as her. Moreso, how would her father, a prominent Slytherin, react to hearing the hat's choice? Surely, the hat had made a mistake. She proclaimed that she would address the headmistress about it as soon as possible. But until then, she reluctantly took a seat beside Pamela and the rest of the Hufflepuff's, who welcomed them with open arms.

"Sabei, Rami."

Slowly, Rami made his way to the front. He looked back over his shoulder at Kevin, who gave him a reassuring thumbs up. He shallowed the lump in his throat as he took a seat on the stool and the hat was placed on his head. Scanning the room as he waited, he seemed to find comfort in Lexi's eyes. She watched him curiously, waiting like everyone else to see where he would end up. For what seemed like forever in a locked gaze with her, the hat proclaimed its answer.

"Gryffindor!"

His heart soared as the students of red and gold cheered him on. He looked over at Lexi once more, who gave a thoughtful nod, before he joined his house.

Although they ended up in different houses, Rami could never imagine the friendship, and eventual love, that would grow between Lexi and himself over their time at Hogwarts. The two became very close during their first and second years after being in many classes together, causing a friendship to blossom that would last the rest of their lives. From nights staying up to help each other study for Transfiguration and Muggle Studies, to her dawning a small piece of Gryffindor red when he was on the Quidditch field, no one could deny how close they became. Even though she was a Slytherin, the house deemed to be the meanest, Lexi found a soft spot for Sebei and was proud to call him a friend, and eventually, the love of her life.

This isn't one of the strongest one shots with the ship, but I did have a lot of fun writing it. Harry Potter was a big part of my childhood as I actually lived the book in sixth grade. I've since gotten back into the series and hope to complete it soon. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed. How did I do? Let me know in the comments. Also, if you are a Harry Potter fan, let me know what house you are in and what book is your favorite. My favorite is The Sorcerer's Stone, which I've read about four times, and I am a proud Hufflepuff!

 My favorite is The Sorcerer's Stone, which I've read about four times, and I am a proud Hufflepuff!

Thank you for reading. And until next time, heart you. <3