Just My Luck

Sun dapple the grass through the patchy summer leaves which were slowly tinting reddish brown, the light hitting my face sending a warmth through my body. A warmth I hadn't felt in a long time. By this point of my trip, I was utterly lost and laden with shopping bags. I wander further through the surreal path way until I came across a small clearing. On a closer glance I saw a girl laying in the center, her copper red hair surrounding her head as if it were in water, camera in hand. I take a few steps of the path before stopping myself.

What am I doing? I can't just go up to her.

You need directions... come on...

Turning away, my flask tumbled out of my backpack and clattered to the ground. I held my breath in anticipation as the seconds ticked by, feeling like hours.

"Hello!" came her voice, full of cheer. I let out a sigh and faced the now upright, beaming girl.

"Hi," I said scratching the back of my neck, trying not to make eye contact.

"Were you... watching me?" she questioned tilting her head slightly to the right so her wavy locks cascaded over her shoulder, revealing tiny white and yellow flowers laced into her hair.

"Me? Oh, uh no, well kinda..." I said scanning the ground for my flask.

Why did I say that? Why.

I try to recover from that epicly tragic response, with yet another. "I... uh, needed some directions"

"Oh...kay..." She replied, her smile wavering "Um. You're not a serial killer or something are you?"

"Huh, no" I said with a dry chuckle, my shoulders relaxing. "I- I was just wondering if you...um knew the way to the nearest bus stop?"

"Yeah, it's past this field, on the left"

"Thanks"

"Your welcome! My name's Katherine, by the way."

"It's um... nice to meet you, Katherine" I say trying hard to hide my obvious embarrassment. "My name's Jaden."

Katherine bent down to pick up my flask from where it had rolled and brushed off the dirt. "This belongs to you... Right?" she asked, handing it to me.

I took it and mutter a quick thank you. After placing back in the side pouch of my bag I turned back to her"I... um ... I should go" I stuttered "I... it was nice meeting you."

That went well.

I spun around quickly and head to the park, to avoid further conversation, but I felt guilty, I don't know why. Maybe because I acted so damn weird.

"Bye!" I heard her call, her cheerful voice cutting through my thoughts.

I carried on walking, trying to get her out of my head. Her smile was real... something I hadn't seen in awhile, something I missed.

I kept walking for another few minutes until I reached the bus stop. Sitting down on the weathered bench, I stared off into the distance like a hero might do in a movie. But I wasn't a hero by any definition of the word. There was a cool breeze picking up, drifting the scent of flowers in my direction, reminding me of the girl and how daisis had been woven into her hair.

I shouldered off my backpack before digging out my earplugs and ipod. I stuck the earpieces in and drowned out my thoughts, losing myself to the music. The bus came rushing past spraying me with puddle water. I stood there for a second trying to wring out the water. When I looked up the bus was gone, leaving me soaking wet. I began to trudge back the way I came; my shoes squelching as I did. As I walked the wind began picked up, the sun slowly shrinking behind the jail of clouds. I looked around for a place to take refuge from the oncoming storm, but to my disappointment there was nowhere other than the bus-stop, which, by now, was out of sight. I couldn't make it back there in time. I Pulled up my already worn out hood and continued to walk on.

A car passed by. I stuck my thumb out hoping for a ride to somewhere. Another few passed without stopping and I lowered my hand, giving up. Just as I did so a silver Honda Civic came into view.

It slowed down, and the driver rolled down the window

"Need a ride" The voice asked.

Looking up I saw the girl from earlier. I sighed. A ride. That was exactly what I needed.

"Sure" I replied, with a forced smile.

Why couldn't it have been a complete stranger?

The car was welcomingly warm. She smiled at me. "So," She said "Where are you heading?" I Met her gaze and lost my words.

"...School, I mean home." I mentally punched myself giving another dry chuckle at my own failure. I then gave her my address and she typed it into her GPS.

Well that was embarrassing.

The rest of the car ride was silent apart from the occasional small talk which she always seemed to start. Katherine pulled up at the black gates that led into my home. I could tell by the look on her face that she was stunned by the sight. It was an impressive house; 4 floors, decked out with gardens, a pool, and a garage..

"Thanks" I said as I opened the car door and stepped onto the gravel path.

"Anytime, Jaden." She smiled.

Closing the door, I gave her a thankful smile and she began to drive away. I walked to the side of the gate and swiped my key card past the sensor. The gates began to pull open and I walked down the pathway to my front door. I opened the small white box attached to the wall and pressed my right thumb on the pad. Stepping back, the door clicked, I pushed down the handle and walked into the hall.

My adoptive parents wouldn't be back until seven tonight, so I went up to my room and lay on the bed. I lay there for what didn't seem like long, but when I looked at the clock, an hour had passed, my 'parents' would still be at work. Whatever their work was. I looked the wall across from me and smiled at the batman mural my parents had painted me when I was little. It was cheesy, but I couldn't bare to get rid of it. It was the only thing I had left of them apart from some my father's old sketchbooks.

It was your fault, Jaden. You could have done something.

Anything.

I looked away, tears rolling down my cheek.

Stop thinking about it, there's nothing you can do. Not now.

I wiped away the tears and walked to my desk, sitting down I opened the draw and pulled out a weathered blue journal. It made a sort of cracking noise as I open it and set it down. I flipped through the pages of artwork and stories. My father would read me his stories when I couldn't sleep. His stories were the only thing that comforted my when they passed away.

He wouldn't be gone if you... No. Don't think about it.

I set aside the journal and opened the draw once more revealing an almost identical Book. I grabbed a pencil, opened the second book and began to draw. I didn't know what or who I was drawing I just had to draw. Drawing helped me relax, forget, remember. I put my pencil on the table and looked at my work.

In the end I had drawn a field of daisies. This was the first time I had drawn flowers since the funeral, they reminded me of everyone I've lost. Now they made me think of her too.

That's just great.

I don't think people realise how quickly someone can slip through your fingers, how you can lose so much just like that. It's terrifying.

Especially when you could of prevented it.

I put my pencil down and stood up. Walking towards my cupboard, I grabbed my sketchbook and backpack. In the cupboard I got my jacket out and looked through the pockets for my keys. I needed to clear my head.

I shuffled them around in my fingers for a minute, searching for the one that opened my bike lock.

I ran down stairs and into the garage where my bike was. Opening the lock I realized my tires were flat. I swore under my breath and went to grab the pump. It was gone. I guess I won't go cycling after all.

Just my luck.