13: Missing

THIRD PERSON

Haneul felt a bubble settle on her gut as the elevator which had come to a halt seconds ago still hadn't opened. She shifted uncomfortably on her feet, a tight knot twisting inside her.

Unknowingly, her fingers began to tremble. A sudden thud startled her, as if it wasn't caused by the box containing her materials that slipped from her own grasp. Beside her, Jimin's eyes widened, and he warily stole glances at her.

But Haneul was too drizzled by her troubling thoughts to even notice. Her trembling fingers had curled inwardly, nails digging on her palms.

"Is anyone out there?" Haneul thumped her fist on the door repeatedly. "Please!" she demanded.

Jimin frowned and pressed his lips together tightly, jaw clenching.

Does she hate me that much that she desperately wants to get out?

He pushed the thoughts away, disapprovingly shaking his head at Haneul who was still frantically pressing on the emergency button. He followed her movements with his eyes as he crossed his arms, leaning on the corner, obviously taking this all lightly unlike Haneul.

She was acting as if she was trapped with a plague. At least on Jimin's perspective, that was how it appeared.

Fresh tears brimmed on the edge of her eyes, her vision blurring as she continuously pressed on the button. Until it turned pitch black and she couldn't see anything.

Her gasp got caught up in her throat, her hands fell limp on her side. She bumped her head on the buttons.

Jimin thought she was exaggerating the whole thing, almost making him roll his eyes at her for being such a drama queen.

But that judgment had went down the drain the moment he heard a soft sob.

She wanted to breathe, but she couldn't. This is different. It's not gonna happen again. Breathe in. Breathe out, she repetitively chanted in her head but to no avail.

She suppressed another sob, almost choking her.

"Please, just open up," she whispered, desperation lingering on every word.

A touch from behind electrified her and she flinched, her heart almost ripping out of her chest. At this, her mind blanked out. Her tears stopped as if she had also forgotten how to feel anymore.

Now annoyed and somehow worried, Jimin spun her around and stared directly at her profile, paying more attention given the darkness. Her hard staring eyes that never blinked didn't even move.

"Haneul?" he softly called, bewildered at her state.

Her breath hitched and the next thing she knew, an arm draped around her whilst a hand drew soothing circles on her back.

Her body was stiff against his chest, and he had no idea what the hell was happening. But he was—without a doubt—frustrated.

A screeching noise blasted from the small speaker, and Haneul winced. He embraced her tighter.

"It's okay, it's okay," he comforted.

"We're sorry for the inconvenience, our technicians are working on the problem right as we speak with you. Expect—"

In one quick motion, Jimin exasperatedly ran a hand through his hair, biting his lip and reached for the button.

"This is Park Jimin speaking, and I need you to fix this shit or whoever is responsible for this gets fired!"

Haneul uncomfortably stirred in his grip, and he sighed to himself, allowing a small distance between them.

He sucked a deep breath in and released it back.

There came another shuffling noise. "W-were getting on it sir."

True to their words, the lights went back on, minutes later of Haneul being under his solace, and the elevator moved downwards again.

All Haneul had in mind was that she could finally get out, safe from here.

And out she went once she heard the ding of the elevator.

She ripped herself apart from Jimin, almost pushing him in the process and spun around. She rubbed her eyes with her arm, scurrying her way out.

"Miss are you okay? We're sorry. We have a doctor with us..."

But she wasn't listening. She brushed past the people anxiously waiting outside the elevator with her head down and thoughts scattered. She just wanted to get out here. She just wanted to breathe.

A spark of rationality hit her for a split second, and she took that moment to glance over her shoulders. She was also shocked for pushing him away.

Their eyes met as if he had been waiting for her to turn back. She wanted to speak, but she could only mouth the words, hoping he could get it.

"I'm sorry. Thank you."

Despite the staff questioning him, his attention was on her. And though he didn't understand, he knew by the way her lost glazed eyes looked at him that he was missing something.

And Jimin was determined to find out just what exactly was that all about.

— ✿ —
I love you all, but now is not the right time yet. Just a little more patience, my dear children. We'll get there.