Chapter 7: Lilith's Tale

Mrs. Keen closed a notebook as my mother, and I walked inside of the school. She was furious about the way they had kicked me out of class. "How may I assist-" Mrs. Keen stood up but was interrupted.

My mother placed her hands on the table in front of Mrs. Keen. " I would like to know the reason my child is being pulled out of this school." she breathed heavily.

Mrs. Keen nodded slowly. She sat down then joined her hands together. "I would be glad to tell you," She said in a calm tone. "With most due respect and honestly, this town hasn't taken in outsiders for the longest time. The last time we did, he triggered a cry that now haunts our town. And now I know why I can't sleep at night since you-" She pointed to me. "are in her house."

My mother stared at Mrs. Keen as if she were crazy, squinting her eyes at the old lady. "Mrs. Keen. I don't know what my son has to do with-"

"You and your son live in the same house that little a was living in," she interrupted. "And before him lived Lilith Lambert. That house is cursed, and anyone who enters the house is cursed. You and your son are not allowed to step foot in here anymore. I am sorry, but I must protect my town and my students."

My mother tightly closed her lips together. "You and the school are insane," she said then walked out before me.

On my way out, Mrs. Keen chanted the song.

I can't believe this crazy, stupid, diluted town. It's like living with people who are obsessed with cults. "Did something actually happen in that house, mom?"

"Of course not, Dante. The people here are slow. For Heaven's Sake," she said. "I wonder what else they do for education around here. That was the closest school."

"I can't just not go to school," I said, hoping that would make her think more about moving back home.

My mother smiled. It wasn't one of those sweet smiles either. "Great. I'm glad you think so because when you get a job, you can pay for the gas for us to drive you to another school. Doesn't that sound good?"

I didn't reply to her. It sucked how much they took their anger out on me. As if it was my fault that we moved to this miserable town. However, getting a job didn't sound too bad.

***

As soon as I got back home, I got my laptop back from my mother. I was destined to know about Lilith Lambert. I typed in her name on Google, and sure enough, her name came up with a few results. Her name mostly came up on fanfiction websites. I clicked on the first one and read the article.

Lilith Lambert, died when she was only 10 years old. The townsfolk have claimed her parents were the cause of her death, and some have seen them torturing her. The town knew about this but didn't bother to help her. The father was believed to be a part of a strange cult. A cult that believed punishments erased sins. He claimed to have loved his daughter, only wanting her to be accepted. He mentioned that if he didn't punish her, he would have to kill her so she wouldn't sin. One day, inside of her own house, Lilith's father had accidentally beaten her too hard. It was on a day people were around, where a fair had taken place in front of her house in the cornfields like every year. The people heard her screams but did nothing. She died in her home while kids and their families played outside.

Distraught and devastated over her death, the mother committed suicide inside of the house. The father has not been found. A note was left behind.

Together forever.

Some have claimed to hear Lilith screaming, begging for her parent's spirit to stop beating her. Her cries are said to be so loud that the townspeople cannot sleep, that the animals are too afraid to give birth to their young, that the corn that grows is poisonous, and that the crows are waiting to feed off of the dead of those Lilith choose to kill.

No one gave Lilith a proper burial. They say the bones remained in the house until the next person moved in. It was stated that a little boy found her bones and disposed of them around the town, always playing with them like a toy or feeding them to his dog. Now, Lilith Lambert screams throughout the night begging for her mother and father to stop torturing her. Some have claimed to see her standing outside of their window calling for help until morning. The town cannot rest until her bones are found, and even if they are, they cannot be buried without the wrath of Lilith.

After I had finished the article, I was extremely intrigued by Lilith's story. I didn't believe it, thinking it was something that had been made up or over made up. I kept rereading the story, wishing I could leave behind a tale as such. I've read hundreds of tales but never believed one. As I thought more into it, I remembered what happened the other night with the encounter of the girl. After some time, things like that disappear in your mind fast until it happens again. I was confused and didn't quite remember what had happened that night. I remembered the girl and her leaving, that was it. My mind told me that it was nothing, and I was hoping so.

Dad  walked into my room without knocking and saw me sitting in front of my laptop. "I hope you're looking at the jobs that are in the area. But I don't think so since this place doesn't have a proper map source," He walked towards the laptop. "Are you writing again. Did you write this, boy?"

Before I could shake my head and tell him I wasn't, Kane slapped me really hard in the back of the head. "If I catch you in here writing again-"

"I wasn't writing," I Interrupted. "I was reading. You didn't have any right to hit me."

He chuckled and made his way towards the door. "You didn't have any right to hit me," Kane mimicked my words while leaving the room.

I had enough of my mom and my dad. I got up and headed outside, without telling them where I was going. Behind our house, about a mile away or were trees. I decided to walk over there, and possibly gain some inspiration to secretly write. As I was walking, I looked back at the house. My mother was sitting inside of the car. I realized if my mom had seen me walking, she would have asked where I was going. I left it alone, heading towards the woods.