SEE YOU LATER ALLIGATOR

Jacob couldn't help but smile as he waved goodbye to his two beautiful girls. He watched as they drove away before making his way to the pub to help set up for the party. As he crossed the car park, the smile never left his face.

It had been an eventful day to say the least. But the Steph situation aside, it had been one of the best days of his life. He had finally found a way to make Grace understand how much her mum meant to him and after the longest time, they were finally able to put the past behind them and move on.

Despite not having always seen eye to eye with Grace, he considered her to be a big part of his life. He had grown to love her as though she was his own. His smile widened as he realized what that meant. No more hiding under the bed when Grace walked in, no more sneaking off in the early hours of the morning and no more pretending that he and Connie were just friends in front of Grace.

He finally had it all.

He didn't know what he'd done to deserve any of it, of course. But he knew that he was going to make the most of every second with the two of them.

Just under an hour and a half later, Connie pulled into her driveway. Grace placed her hands on her stomach and sighed heavily before turning to her mum as the two of them began to laugh. They were both so full after having had a large pizza each and desert.

"I warned you-" Connie began.

"I know, I know," Grace replied. "There's no sharing when it comes to pizza."

Connie snorted at her daughter's attempt to imitate her and placed a hand on her shoulder as they walked towards the house.

"Oh and Grace," Connie said. She turned to her mother attentively, "I don't sound like that." Grace giggled and shook her head before running into the house and up the stairs to get changed.

Connie dropped her bag at the entrance and walked into the kitchen to place her keys on the table. As she walked in and looked around, her eyes stopped on the two cups of coffee on the counter that had been there since the morning. Suddenly she felt a smile appear on her lips as she took the time to actually let the day's events sink in.

She ran a hand through her hair and let it rest on her shoulder as she lingered in the kitchen, feeling completely happy for the first time in as long as she could remember. Everything was perfect. In fact, it was so perfect that it felt too good to be true.

Everytime she had come close to getting what she wanted, something had always happened to take it all away from her. Someone or something had always got in the way. But not this time. This time was different. Everything was just the way she wanted it. In fact, she decided that if she could relive just one day for the rest of her life, it would be that one.

She was overcome by a feeling of perfect bliss and she never wanted it to end.

That last thought brought her back to reality. It hadn't ended yet, she still had Charlie's party to get ready for. She looked up at the clock on the wall and her eyes widened when she realized how late it was.

Without waisting anymore time, she ran upstairs to her room and jumped in the shower. It was the quickest shower she had even taken. Within minutes she was out and wrapping her hair in a towel before heading through to her room to pick out an outfit.

She hadn't really thought about what she was going to wear which was obviously a big mistake because she didn't have the time to be trying on outfits. She flicked through her wardrobe quickly and her hand stopped on a white dress she had bought a while ago and had never had the chance to wear.

She pulled it out of the wardrobe and took a good look at it. It really was a stunning dress. But was it too much for Charlie's party? It was just a get together between friends in a local pub after all... And she didn't want to upstage Charlie on his big day.

She took another look at the dress and sighed before placing it back in the wardrobe. She rushed back over to the bathroom to dry her hair. She decided she wasn't going to do anything special with it, she'd just let her natural bouncy curls fall over her shoulders. She didn't have time to be messing around anyway.

After having put her make up on she headed out in to the hallway to make sure Grace was nearly ready which she clearly wasn't judging by the clothes spread all over her bedroom floor.

"Gracie, what are you doing? Just pick an outfit, we're going to be late!"

Grace looked her mum up and down before gesturing to the dressing gown she was wearing. "Well what are you going to wear?" She asked sarcastically, knowing Connie hadn't chosen anything either.

She stared at her daughter for a moment not knowing what to say. She had a point. "Just hurry up and pick something," she said before going back to her own room. Without giving it a second thought she walked over to her wardrobe once again and pulled out the white dress.

If she couldn't wear it to a party, when could she wear it?

By the time she had got dressed and plaited Grace's hair they were running late. Then again, it was Charlie's party, no one would even notice they weren't there. And she knew that they wouldn't be the only late arrivals, she had seen how long it took some of the junior doctors to get ready.

They left the house again, looking much more glamorous than they had that morning and got into the car.

"Can we have some of Jacob's music on?" Grace asked as she plugged her seatbelt in. Connie turned to her daughter and frowned.

"I thought you didn't like it."

She turned to her mum and smiled. "I do now."

A/N: I came up with this idea earlier. It's only going to be a quick fanfic. It won't be much longer than a couple of chapters. I hope you like it though! Please let me know what you think.