Prologue

They were traveling by the old trading trail that ran between the wolf and cat kingdoms. King Strongpaw rode in his carriage with his son, prince Cushou. Cushou's mother and siblings had passed into the Great Beyond; his mother having died giving birth, and his siblings passed from a deadly disease. The remainder of the Royal Cat family was traveling to the wolf kingdom to renew their trading bonds and to accept gifts of condolence.

"Father, why must the Royal Guard follow us everywhere? They're boring and no fun. They won't even play with me!" Whined little Cushou.

"Because, my little prince, they are following orders. They are to protect us and nothing else." Strongpaw answered.

"Protect from what, father? There are no animals around except the mice pulling the carriage."

"From the wolves, of course." Strongpaw teased.

At the mention of wolves, Cushou shrunk back in his seat with his ears laid flat on his head and his eyes open wide, pupils slits. He was still young and the thought of giant beasts called wolves with the biggest  paws and teeth imaginable frightened him deeply. The king saw this and put a reassuring paw on his son's shoulder.
"Don't worry Cushou, I was only teasing. The wolves are our greatest allies, our greatest trading partners. All of our wealth comes from my friendship with them. All our power comes from their ability to craft tools and armor out of the earthen metals. You have nothing to fear from them."

Cushou wanted to believe his father, but the idea of having one of those giants as a friend, let alone a whole pack of them, didn't sit too well with the young cat. He nodded to his father, who smiled and clapped him on the back.

"That's my boy! Conquering your fears before they truly clamp onto your mind. You'll be a great king someday, bringing good fortune to Nien Livès. Our home shall prosper with you on the throne."

Cushou brightened up. He had always loved when his father would tell him how great a king he would be, and that hadn't changed now. He walked over, now bored, to the door of the carriage and opened it, feeling the cool breeze rustle his whiskers and fur. The small red cape on his back held his family's crest, a cat's paw circled in a wreath of lavender with a sword standing vertical on each side, uncrossed, symbolizing the peace that the cats had created with the creatures of the forest. The crest billowed proudly on the breeze and Cushou felt like a king already, his Royal cloak symbolizing his power and authority.

He strode along to the front of the carriage, the grass tickling his paws in a pleasant, almost playful, way. At the front he could see the mouse team hustling to get the carriage to its destination. Cushou found it strange that his father would insist on using mice, prey, to pull the carriage but never the less, Strongpaw would always have his way.

'They're better when they're worked,' he would always say. 'Cuts down on the fat so all you get is the muscles, and boy, are they juicy! You'll never have a better mouse than a worked one.'

Cushou turned his attention away from the mice and instead to the surrounding forest. Perhaps he could find something worthy of play inside the walls of trees. He walked along nonchalantly, trying his best to not spark suspicion in the guards. Just as he turned his head away from the nearby guard, he came within a kitten's whisker length away from the captain of the Royal Guard.

"Excuse me, Your Highness, but that forest is forbidden. I have orders from King Strongpaw to forbid anyone passage." Said the captain as he bowed to Cushou.

"Well, captain," Cushou spat. "I require something to play with. That forest is the one place I can actually find some fun around here." He said, gesturing towards the other guards who had turned down his previous play request.