Chapter 2: Right on the Marty

(This chapter will be entirely in Buffy's POV)

SETTING(s): Jefferson Middle/The Spoon/Buffy's House

Marty has been all I've been thinking about all day. After P.E., throughout Algebra and English, even lunch! Does he like me, or is it just a distraction? Guys have never liked me so I don't know what to do! Bell, ring already so I can tell Andi and Cy-

"Ms. Driscoll, are you with us?"

"Oh, yes Mr. Horowitz! Sorry, just daydreaming."

"Well, I've called you three times already. Can you tell us which event led to World War for your more, historically unaware peers?"

"Of course. World War I began because of the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary by a Serbian group."

"Right on the Marty, Ms. Driscoll."

"Excuse me?"

"Right on the money. Thank you for paying attention in class, even when you don't."

"Oh, no problem, Mr. H."

"Anyways, the War carried on for..."

Oh crud, now I'm imagining Mr. H saying Marty's name. When will this bell ring?!

"Germany joined the war when-"

*Bell rings*

"That's the bell. We'll pick up on this tomorrow."

Finally! Thank goodness Andi and Cyrus' last periods are right next to mine.

"Andi, Cyrus! I need to tell you guys something!"

"What is it Buffy?" asked Andi.

"We're going to need milkshakes and baby taters for this."

"Ooh, my favorite!" exclaimed Cyrus.

-

"So, you remember Marty from the Party?"

"Marty from the Party? As in Martin Dullridge from the party Bex and I threw?"

"Martin Dullridge? As in Vice Principal Dullridge's son? Are you kidding me? She's the one who made me straighten my hair thus giving myself a bald spot!"

"I'm sure Marty is nothing like his mother, Buffy."

"Well, anyways, he's in track and he's the fastest boy, and I'm .3 seconds behind him. I really want to beat him, so we decided to race tomorrow to prove who's the fastest."

"So you called an emergency meeting of the Good Hair Crew because you're having a race?"

"No, Cyrus, let me get to the part! He called me pretty, AND he winked at me!"

"Oh my god, Buffy! Do you think he likes you?"

"That's actually what I called you guys in for. I can't tell if he likes me or if he's trying to distract me from preparing from the race. If he's trying to distract me it's totally working. I thought Mr. Horowitz said Marty instead of money. I couldn't stop thinking about him all day!"

"Marty or Mr. Horowitz?"

"Cyrus! This isn't a laughing matter, I really need your takes on this."

"Okay, okay! Well Marty's in my algebra class and he's quiet most of the time. It looks like he spaces out a lot. He's probably thinking about you. Hey, you know what I just remembered?"

"What, Cyrus?"

"He came up to me one day, like last week and asked me if I was interested in you since he sees me hang out with you all the time."