The Tinkerbell Effect: Preface

Dedicated to wendythestoryteller for the awesome cover!  I highly suggest her, but only if you are going to keep her cover for a long time!  Or else you're just undeserving :P  Thanks!

Preface

     She ran as fast as she could with the small bundle cradled to her bosom.  All that she can think about is that bundle.  How fragile and precious.  The world blurs around her, fatigue taking its effect from being trapped in her human form for so long.  Her limbs ache to transform, but she can’t.  Not yet.

     Quickly dodging a tree branch, she continues her journey to the hospital.  The forest darker than usual, she slightly alters the clouds and a ray of light illuminates from the full moon.  The sounds of the night are silenced as she runs by, only making the forest that much louder to her ears.  She is not afraid, but curious to the unusual silence.  Only the sound of wind buzzing past her head, raising the hair from her back and letting it fall in a rhythmic motion.  She breaks free from the trees at last.  Almost there.

     The car and street lights have her blinking rapidly, like butterfly wings.  She is running so fast that they cannot see her, just as much as she cannot see them through the horrid fluorescents.  Sign after sign says that she is getting closer to her destination, though her fading agility tells what she cannot herself say.  She isn’t ready to do this.  But she has to!  Everyones safety depends on it.

     A pulse of warmth floods down her cheek, immediately turning cold from the wind.  She wipes the tear away swiftly and pushes harder than before, a blue cross coming into view.  The hospital isn’t big, suiting the town it resides in.  Fortunately, it is a slow night and she easily makes her way to the back without detection.

     She squeezes the warm lump in her arms even closer to her, hating having to let it go.  Before she changes her mind, she gently sets the pile on the ground five feet away from the exit, in clear sight.  The soft brown blankets loosen, revealing pale skin and thick brown locks.  Bright pink lips settle into a peaceful expression, thin lids covering beautiful green eyes.  For that she is thankful.  She cannot bare to say goodbye to those eyes.  The precious creature is only two months old after all.

     Before she starts to cry again, she bends down to place a warm kiss on the sleeping infant’s head and reaches to the back of her neck and unclips a small ornament, pinning it to the blanket for safe keeping.  With one last look, she gets up and walks to the bright red box on the wall.

     “Goodbye, my child,” she whispers even though a second later the fire alarm is pulled.  The shriek quickly scares the baby into consciousness, a helpless cry leaving her small mouth.

     Hurriedly, she moves out of sight into the shadows.  Watching a bewildered nurse push through the doors to find the poor creature and take her inside for immediate care is the hardest thing she has ever had to do.  As she runs back to the forest, she sings the oldest melody of earth with woe:

     Crossing land and sea

     Praising Sun and Moon

     Time shall ensue 

     Before I meet with you.