The Lost Planet of Ko'sstahn - A Review by @Red_Harvey

Storytitle: The Lost Planet of Ko'sstahn

Author: elveloy (aka L.V. Lloyd)

Originallya short for SFXD Smackdown, "The Lost Planet of Ko'sstahn"is a prime example of a sword and planet story. In true Edgar RiceBurroughs's style, L.V. Lloyd weaves in action from the start.

Analpha-team of combatants are on a mission on their native Mars. TeamLeader and observer James Carter touches down only to witness histeam get murdered, supposedly by rebels. Lloyd describes the scene inhaunting detail, with phrasing that will stay with you:

"Carvercould only stare in horror as the photon beams sliced through Barkerin multiple ribbons. He saw Wilson turning to run. She took one stepbefore a silver arc cut her in half like a hot wire going throughcheese. Both parts fell soundlessly to the sand."

Despitemaking the reader hungry and simultaneously sick, the scene ends withCarver passing out soon after. Once awake, he is confronted with newsurroundings, and a huge snake-thing he defeats using a pocket knife(John Carter would've been proud!). He then meets a native ofKo'sstahn, Kelior, who takes him to meet Princess Kelliana. Shesummoned him to clear out the Bursa monsters that are threatening thepopulation of the city, Koftan. In exchange, Carter is promised asword, 100 gold coins, and the Princess's hand in marriage.

However,in very cool twist to the story, and the entire sub-genre really, itturns out that Carver is gay. Thus, the story briefly uses thesub-genre as a background to explore Carver's discomfort in beingaccepted, and Lloyd executes this well. Another subtle theme is warand peace as Carver contemplates his planet's violent ways, inopposition to the peaceful Ko'sstahn.

Soon,Carver realizes that he's on a planet that shares the same spatialrelation from the sun as Mars, albeit in a different dimension, ashis Mars lacks the luxuries of Ko'sstahn, like grass and Princesses.The story has a definite "A Princess of Mars" feel to it,while also building off that story formula to create somethingentirely new and engaging.

Lloydemploys all the sword and planet tropes to keep the reader happy,injecting plenty of humor along the way, such as this scene:

"Myname is Carver, James Carver. I'm from Mars. Can you tell me the nameof this place?"

[...]

"Youmust be the warrior the Princess has summoned. Follow me, CarverJames Carver."

Thesix-part short story begs to be read, for Burroughs fans andnon-Burroughs fans alike.