Chapter One| Jacquelyn

Sitting in the cool autumn air, leaning against a rough tree, I read my worn copy of Pride and Prejudice and laugh, once again, at one of my all-time favourites. I hear a whistle and see a burly man walking up the hill my tree sat upon. I tossed my book aside and clicked to my sheep, them 'bahh'ing back in response. They were near me. Good.

"Jacquelyn Anne Carborne! What were you doing?" A gruff voice said as the burly man known as my father came into a better view. "Papa! The sheep are all accounted for. No wolves got to a single one." I winked at him, making his harsh demeanor crack as a smile broke it's way through. We lived in one of the most powerful werewolf kingdoms, although we were among the omegas but not quite servants. "Ahh, yes my dear, that is good. But could you not get your nose stuck in a book for once?" I straitened my skirts and gave him a sheepish grin through my lashes, tucking the book safely into my apron. "Mama is getting supper prepared. We got a letter from the castle so you best pin the sheep and hurry in." He said, running his fingers through his thick, black hair and rubbing his stubbly chin, walking down the hill.

I clicked for my sheep and they followed with ease. I pinned them and hurried inside, washing up. I placed four glasses 'round the table; one for Pa, one for Ma, one for Mille, and one for myself. Finishing setting the table, I grabbed the plates and brought them to Ma. A small salad and tiny piece of chicken were set on each plate, leftovers going to Pa. I carried the plates over, with Mama's help, and rang the supper bell. Mille came dashing in, Papa walking in after the eleven-year-old.

Sitting at the table, we said our thanks and grace to God and the Moon Goddess, digging into our meals. I ate around half of my small piece of chicken and a few leaves of lettuce. I gave my chicken to the ever-growing Mille and my salad to the hard-working Ma. Papa got the biggest portions because he provided for us, so I tried not to eat to much in order for Mille to maintain good heath.

I excused my self to feed the chickens and cows before running to get water for the bath and heating it. I called Mama, for it was her turn to bathe first. I helped her undress 'till she could do it herself and left the barns for her privacy. I bathed second to last tonight, Papa normally going last with fresher, yet colder, water. After Mama finished, Mille bathed and it was my turn at last. Mama was helping Mille get ready for bed, and Papa was looking over papers so I undressed myself and slid into the chilly waters, cold after siting for about an hour. I washed quickly and dried with my ragged towel and dressed into my night clothes. I patted down my long strawberry hair and hung the towel out to dry. I dumped the dirty water and turned to see my father hard at work, so I grabbed the buckets used to haul the water and turned on the two stoves. I placed two per plate and let them sit for ten minutes until they were scalding. I poured the water into the metal tub and called for Papa. His tired form straitened at the sight of the steaming water and turned to me with a cheesy grin and a thank you. I left him there and hurried back to the house with a smile on my face at my small act of kindness.

I tied my half-dried hair up into a messy bun and saw the letter Papa was talking about in the mirror behind me. It had a scarlet seal and I read the cover allowed in a low whisper, "Jacquelyn Anne Carborne is cordially invited to Xander William Anthony Mezltove I Masquerade Ball on Friday, December 1. Don't forget your mask! Your Prince, Xander Mezltove" I was leaning against the wall with my back to it, knees up, sitting on the hard wood flooring. I took a deep breath and let it out. And another. And another. And another. I kept breathing heavily until my mother decided to come in and check on me to make sure I was okay. But I wasn't. I was having a panic attack.

I had my hands over my ears to try and stop the ringing, I felt my face scrunching in all sorts of ways, and I felt my mothers hands rubbing my back and my fathers soothing voice telling me it was to be okay. But it wasn't, was it? I've never worn a fancy dress, never walked in proper shoes, only hair is up or down, never worn make up. How was I to make it through? I only had a fort night to prepare for such an extravagant event. I wasn't prepared. Not at all.