The Raid

*****Marty Reynolds*****
     "Are our warrants in order?" I asked my captain.
      "Yes." Captain Dyke said, "you do know that if this raid goes down correctly then you will be guaranteed the Sargent position you want."
     "I know." I said, "I know."
     He smiled at me and patted me on the back. I took a deep breath.
     "Let's go." I said.
I was on point, and I really didn't want to raid a speakeasy. I was a dirty cop in one myself, so I felt a little remorse for what I was going to do. On the other hand I wanted to be a Sargent, badly. And I was going to do anything in my power to make that happen.
We showed up at the establishment with sirens going. We knew it would be hard for them to hear the sirens since they were in a loud basement, but it sure did wake the neighbors.
     We busted into the basement of the building. There were people were drinking and dancing.
"NYPD search warrant!" I yelled.
The music stopped and everyone started to panic. All the officers I brought with me started arresting people and taking them out of the basement. I went to the back office. The man that owned the speakeasy, Samuel Shultz, stopped what he was doing and looked up at me. I could tell by his face he knew he was finished. He didn't argue. He just stood up and walked over to me.
"I'm sorry." He stated.
     "I know." I said, "come on."
     I cuffed him and took him out of his office. I walked him across the basement then upstairs the and out the basement.
I knew he was sorry that he got caught. Not that he was operating an illegal establishment.
I pushed him into the back of my police car without a word. Jesse was already sitting in the passenger seat. The guy he collared was in the back of the squad car already.
"This should be interesting." He commented.
Shut-up.
     I drove to the precinct and parked on the side of the building were everyone else was.
     "Wait until I tell everyone you're dirty." Mr. Shultz tested.
I thought I saw Jesse's face change, but I was too worried about not getting Sargent than a guy mouthing off.
     "Right and who is going to believe you? In there I'm the best cop, and you're nothing but a criminal." I said, "So, you might want to be careful."
Jesse and I got out of the car, and we each took one of the men out of the backseat. We walked into the squad room with them.
     "Take him into an empty interrogation room." Captain Dyke instructed.
      "Yes sir."
      I walked into an empty interrogation room and placed him in a chair.
"Get comfortable." I said, "It might be a while."
I walked back into the bullpen. There was only men that we arrested. All the women we found in the establishment were sent away... Captain Dyke also wouldn't lock up a woman for a man's idea. Personal preference of his.
     "Call ADA Nova. We need to get this squad room cleared." Captain Dyke asked another officer, "There are too many people in here. It reeks of alcohol."
     "Yes sir." He said.
     "Martin."
I walked over to him.
"Go talk to Mr. Shultz." He said, "and Jesse go supervise it, but don't go in the room with him."
"Yes sir." We said.
"The ADA will have to talk to him separately." He said, "Make sure he's nice and comfortable."
     "Yes sir."
     We walked back to the interrogation room. I walked in and sat across from him. Jesse stayed outside the glass.
     "You're going to be in jail for a while, and your reputation is gone." I said, "I wonder how many people will frequent your shoe store after all this is said and done? My guess... not many."
     He laughed, and sat back in his chair.
     "What about your reputation?" He said, "Dirty cops don't get much help by their squad after it is all said and done."
    "My reputation is amazing in here. Nobody will believe you. Besides, I'm going to be a Sargent in a few days. Is that the reputation you're referring to?"
He sat up straighter in his seat.
     "How about I call my lawyer that I pay a lot of money to have on retainer, and you can go sit on your ass eating donuts in the bullpen with your baby faced partner? Sound good?"
     I slammed my hands down on the table and stood up.
     "Come this way for a phone."
*****Jesse*****
Baby faced? Really? That's what he comes up with?
     I watched Reynolds try to interrogate, but Mr. Shultz called for a lawyer before anything could happen.
But I couldn't help but think about what he was saying about his reputation.
     It looks like Reynolds might be dirty after all. Oh man. I have to tell Mr. Taylor. This should be interesting.
*****Marty Reynolds*****
I walked him to a phone. He went over to the wall and called a lawyer. I stood over to the side waiting on him. When he hung-up the phone and I lead him back into the interrogation room.
     I sat him in the same chair as before, and I sat in the same chair as before.
     "I didn't need you to keep me company. This city is up to its steeples in corruption. I'm not worried."
     He leaned back in his chair. I just looked at him. He did seem too calm to be faced with such heavy charges.
     A few minutes later his lawyer showed up.
     "I need some time to confer with my client."
     I stood up.
     "You do that."
     I left the room closing the door behind me. Jesse looked at me, and the ADA walked over.
     "So, what do we have here? Samuel Shultz. Never saw that coming." He commented, "What did you arrest him for?"
     I looked at him and leaned up against a wall.
     "The serving of illegal alcohol, possession with the intent to distribute, and having an establishment without a permit." I said, "I think we did pretty good."
     "Good job, guys." He said, "Let's get this done."
     ADA Nova walked into the room and sat across from him and his lawyer. Jesse and I walked in and sat around the table.
     "Possession of an illegal substance with intent to distribute, the illegal distribution of alcohol, and having an establishment without a permit." ADA Nova said, "That's a very long time in prison."
     "How about a deal?" His lawyer bargained.
     "The mayor of this wonderful city and the governor of this wonderful state have a zero tolerance policy. Have fun in prison."
     That was all she wrote.