Chapter XI-Dean

Dean raced down the highway, wanting to get far enough away from the motel. Every now and then, he would stop and wake Percy up then return to his seat and continued down the road. He would keep this routine up until he got onto the dirt road that led to the bunker. Then, occasionally, he would glance in the rearview mirror, checking to make sure that the demigod behind him didn't fade away, unnoticed.

Thankfully, throughout the trip, Sam slept, his head pillowing the window. Dean knew that his little brother has been having a tough time lately, but there was never spare time to actually talk about it. With having the Mark of Cain removed, to fighting off the black-veined people, to finding a cure, and meeting Percy, Dean figured that he and Sam should sit down and talk about what had happened. And Dean will be damned if his brother should bring anything besides his story up.

When Dean had gotten onto the path that led to their home, Dean glanced in the mirror to check on Percy. He couldn't help but think that the demigod was hiding something. And whatever that something is, it's following him. Now, Dean isn't blaming the kid for the explosion, but whoever had set up the bomb in their room was going to feel the wrath of Dean, once he found the culprit. No one, and Dean means no one, was going to set off a bomb that hurt his brother and their new partner.

Dean's mental rant was interrupted by Percy's squirming in the seat. The older brother had noticed that the young demigod had slept in fits during the ride back to the bunker. He would sometimes mumble a name or two before twisting in his seat, almost as if he were trying to escape the clutches that held him in his sleep. Dean wasn't sure what to do, but he went ahead and shook Percy awake, just to make sure the kid hadn't received any kind of brain damage from the explosion.

Dean carefully brought his hand over the bench seat and onto the kid's sweaty shoulder. He tried shaking him, since it was close to the hour mark. "Percy."

He felt the kid raise his head and blinked sleepily at him.

"Hey," Dean softly greeted. "It was time for you to wake up." He didn't mention anything about the dry tear tracks on the kid's cheek, figuring he had enough on his plate already.

Percy nodded blearily and sat up in his seat. He rubbed his eyes and yawned loudly. He didn't seem like he wanted to talk, so Dean didn't push. But he did start to worry about the kid. Every time Dean had wakened the kid up, he seemed to grow paler each time. But that wasn't the only thing that caught Dean's attention.

Percy's eyes were screaming out in pain, grief, and guilt. And Dean's heart broke for him.

A few quiet minutes later, Dean pulled up to the bunker. He drove into the garage and parked his baby, then turned off the engine.

"Is this it?" Percy softly asked, slowly getting out of the car. His voice was still hoarse after hours of being unused.

Dean smirked at the kid's admiration, shaking Sam's shoulder to wake him up. "Time to wake up, Sasquatch," he said, startling Sam. "As to answer your question, Percy," Dean continued, getting out of the car himself and walking over to the trunk. "Yes, it is."

Percy took his answer into consideration, taking his time to meet Dean as he looked at all the cars that were in the garage. "Is this one of those buildings where there are a billion rooms?"

"Well, I wouldn't say a billion," Sam chuckled, coming over to meet them. He was about to reach one of the bags, but Dean slapped his hand away.

"You're still walking like an old man, Sammy," Dean explained to his little brother's confused puppy expression. "I got this."

"They're not even that heavy," Sam protested. "It's just a bag of clothes! I'm pretty sure I can handle a bag of clothes, Dean."

"Not with that chest injury, you're not." Dean was having none of it. He didn't want Sammy or Percy to overextend themselves, grabbing all the bags that were in the trunk.