Chapter Eight

Evan turned the dial on his locker, opening it with a click.

"Hey, Evan," a voice said, accompanied by a tap on the shoulder. Evan expected a teacher, a parent, or Jared. You know, someone who would actually talk to him. He turned around, and was surprised to see Connor.

"Oh, hey," Evan said, grabbing books from his locker. He tried to get them all into one hand, to avoid having to use his broken arm, but they teetered. Connor took the books out of his hand. "I got it," he said, closing the locker as well.

"Thanks," Evan said with a grin.

"Where are you headed?" Connor asked. Evan pointed down the hall to the computer lab. Connor nodded and began to walk in that direction. Evan followed.

"So," Evan said eagerly. "What are we doing after school?" Connor looked puzzled.

Suddenly it came back. "Ugh, oh shit, Evan I totally forgot. I said I'd make it up to you, god, I'm an idiot," Connor said, disappointed that he had forgotten his promise.

"No, no, Connor, it's alright," Evan mumbled.

"No, it's not, Evan, I said I'd make it up to you, but I made plans like an asshole. I'm gonna make up not making it up to you up to you, if that makes any sense."

Evan laughed. "It does. Maybe we could..um...never mind."

"No, what were you gonna say?" Connor said, looking over at Evan.

"No, it-it was stupid."

"I'm sure it wasn't, Evan, just tell me."

"Well," Evan resumed. "Maybe, uh, if you want to, maybe we could hang out at the dance?"

Connor grinned. "Of course, Evan. Oh, here we are," he said, noticing the computer lab door coming up. They went inside and Connor set the books on Evan's desk.

"Thanks for carrying my things, you really d-didn't have to do that, you know."

"Yes I did," Connor said, leaving the room. Evan watched the door gently swing shut, and with a happy sigh, he sat down in his chair.

"Woah, Hansen, what'd you do to your arm?" Jared said, walking into the classroom.

"Broke it," Evan mumbled, turning on his computer.

"No shit, Sherlock," Jared said with a laugh, taking a seat next to Evan. "How, though? Or- oh sorry, is it, um, personal?"

"Ew, no, Jared. I was climbing a tree an-and I fell."

"Acorn Hansen."

"What?"

"That's your new name. Acorn Hansen."

Evan sighed turned away from Jared. He wasn't really a friend, but he was all Evan had. Well, not including Connor, whatever he was. Last year, the nickname had been "Lorax" and now it was Acorn. Great.

"Alright, class," the teacher said walking into the room. "We are starting a new assignment today, so everyone pick a partner."

Shit.

Evan looked around the room and saw everyone that he might want to pair up with laughing with their friends. Pairs formed, and of course there was that one group of three giggly girls in the back. Suddenly he felt a tap on his shoulder.

"Hey, Acorn, wanna work together?" Jared asked, leaning over onto Evan's desk.

Evan hated to admit that he enjoyed Jared's company sometimes, but he was relieved that he asked. That dreaded 'raise your hand if you don't have a partner' was something he didn't want to go through ever again.

"Sure," Evan said with a grin. "Oh, but one thing," he added, his face falling slightly. "Can you not call me Acorn Hansen, please?"

Jared sighed. "Fine. The words 'Acorn Hansen' will never more escape my lips." Evan smiled.

"Thanks." Evan turned back to his computer. He felt his phone buzz. He turned on his phone to read a text message.

the insanely cool jared kleinman: hey acorn hansen