Chapter 6.

Briar didn't want to waist all of her time on this guy who she hated. Everything about him made her want to shiver with disgust. She felt like she just needed to wash this boy with her leftover dinner from nights before just to make him partially normal. She swore that Asa was too... proper.

They didn't talk the whole way to her house. Briar walked up the rickety stairs to her home that was just as old on the outside as the furniture was on the inside. Her father said that he had bought it for her mother when they were in their twenties. She rolled her eyes every time he had told her that story.

Asa stood staring at the house. He couldn't imagine someone living in this house where the lawn hadn't been cut in over a year.

"Are you coming." She nagged him.

He followed Briar up the stairs and she motioned him to sit in the living room. She walked in to the kitchen. Asa looked around the room and sat on a couch with a pattern which had no personality. He wasn't expecting to almost fall to the floor, since the springs had given out a long time ago.

"Want some water!?" Briar shouted to him.

"That would be nice, thank you." He replied just as loud.

A few seconds later Briar came back with a glass of water and handed it to him. Asa placed it on the coffee table in front of him.

Briar took a seat at the other end of the couch. The broken springs didn't bother her. She looked awkwardly around the room for a moment trying to figure out what to say.

"So... How do you want to this." She turned to see him reaching into his back pack to take something out. "What are you doing?"

He pulled out a notebook and a pen. "I want to take notes."

"Why?" Briar was weirded out.

"I want to write down all the steps."

"What?!" This was her only response.

"I want to make sure I have everything written down so that I don't forget."

She inhaled loudly, obviously annoyed and unimpressed at the same time. "Asa, you have got to be kidding me."

"Kidding you? Why would I kid?" He was blissfully unaware.

She took a deep breath again. "Kissing is spontaneous!...Most of the time. You can't prepare for a kiss."

"I know, I know," he was explaining, "I just... you know... need tips."

"Tips?... Okay that's it! I knew I shouldn't have done this. I was just in a bad mood and had nothing better to do." It was unclear if she was talking to herself or not.

"Uh... Briar?--" He was instantly cut off.

"I'm not even your friend! I've never even talked to you in a normal conversation." She didn't stop. "And now I just randomly invite you to my house. You know I don't even remotely like you, I never have! So I don't get it! Why the hell would you even come to me for help?!" She was hyperventilating as she stood up.

"Briar..." Asa followed suit. "I honestly didn't know who to turn to. I just assumed that you knew about this sort of thing. You're like the most sinful person I sort of know."

"Sinful." She snorted with disbelief. "You think I know about kissing because you think that I sin. You really have been living under a rock."

They both stood silent not looking at each other for moments that seemed to go on for too long.

Without hesitation, "Whatever." Briar took her hands up to his face and kissed him. She felt his lips, so light, yet so rigid. Her hands eventually finding themselves in his smooth blond hair. She felt Asa relaxing in to her every move.

The both of them couldn't hear the clicking of the front door lock pop open. Briar's dad walked in.

"Wow!" He looked away as he saw them kissing.

"Dad! Oh my god!" Briar wiped the corner of her mouth.

Asa stood there with flickering emotions in his head. He couldn't process what he had just done with Briar and now her dad had just walked in on them. He couldn't even tell that the expression on his face had such a surprised feeling. He just picked up his bag and headed for the door.

Briar ran after him,"Asa stop!"

He stopped and looked back at her. She walked up to him.

"Asa? Please say something?" Briar was worried. She felt as if she had broken him. "I'm sorry."

He met her gaze. He was quiet, "I don't know... I ..."

"Shit. I'm so stupid." Briar was rambling again, "I should have been thinking. Why wasn't I thinking?! And now look. You're falling apart on the inside, hopefully not literally, but I just shoved a blender into your head. Oh god... I'm so sorry." She grabbed his arms and knocked her head on his chest.

For a moment Asa did nothing. He finally pulled Briar away from him and looked her eyes. "This was my fault."

"How is this your fault?! I'm the one who kissed you." She was upset with herself.

Asa was still guarding his feelings. "I need to go pray." He turned from her and walked away.

Briar stood there not sure what to do. She just stared at him as he walked away from her. In her head she wondered why she kissed him in the first place. She hated him, right? Well maybe she didn't hate him as much as she thought, but she kept blaming it on her flaming teen hormones.

Her dad snapped her out of this trance. "Did he say pray?" He was standing in the frame of the front door.

"Dad?... Really?" She felt somewhat embarrassed and icky at the same time as she went back up her front stairs past her dad.

"What?" He played as if he had no idea what Briar was talking about. He closed the front door behind them.