Chapter 15: The Unexpected

Things had been going good between Rose and Hawk. They weren't together in the typical sense, but spent most of their time together with Ariana. Rose had also been thinking of what Hawk had told her after the meeting with the protection group. Honestly if Hawk asked her now if she was ready for him to court her, she was certain she would say yes. Reconnecting with Hawk was easy, and despite not knowing exactly how they came to be together that night five years ago, she was finding that the more time she spent with Hawk the more she didn't care. He had loved her long before that night, she knew he wouldn't lie about that, and she had loved him. The only thing holding them back now was that Rose didn't quite know how to tell Hawk that she was ready to move their relationship to the next level.

Of course there had been some people who wouldn't leave her and Hawk alone about Ariana, and why Hawk hadn't been a part of her life until now, but it was part of the territory. Especially considering that in the Fairy Tale Realm it was practically unheard of for a woman to have a child out of wedlock. Honestly she was surprised at how well everyone was taking it considering the more old fashioned feel to the Fairy Tale Realm then the era on Earth she had grown up in.

Rose and Hawk were currently sparring with their snow magic, Rose having finally made her own unique snow and pumpkin magic wand this morning. Something within her had just demanded that she was ready and needed it immediately. Considering her instincts never led her wrong Rose had gotten help from Snow White in creating her wand, and then Hawk had immediately put her to the test once it was done. He wasn't holding back either, which made her feel ecstatic knowing that Hawk knew she wasn't a damsel in distress who he had to be lenient with while training her.

Rose was just about to try one of the icy slide maneuvers she remembered Hawk using all the time in school when a dragon flew down in front of them a frantic looking Travis gesturing for them to get on. Hesitating for a moment because of Ariana, Rose was waved off by Snow White who was guiding Ariana into the castle probably realizing something was wrong.

"Travis, what's wrong?" Hawk asked as he helped her onto the dragon and then leapt up behind her.

"There's been a breach at the Gate. King Charming ordered me to get the two of you and then ran off with Astoria and Joy."

"Is it Captain Hook?!" Rose was shaking as she thought of what the villains would do if they got their hands on Ariana.

"We don't know. Are you up to fighting Rose, because now is your only chance if your not, and no I'm not saying this because I don't think your capable. It's just you only starting learning how to use your snow magic and if you don't have enough control it could get dangerous."

"I'll be fine Travis."

Taking a deep breath Rose pushed her feelings aside. She needed to get the personal conflict out of the way before they had to fight because she knew her magic could easily get out of control if she got angry enough. Her snow magic wasn't like Hawk's, it relied heavily on her own emotions, and rose up to protect her if it felt she was afraid or unbalanced in some way. Yet she knew her magic would be more out of control if she didn't go with Hawk and Travis and make sure the two of them would be alright. They had always been a team and she wasn't going to sit on the sidelines when they were fighting villains, that wasn't who she was.

As they got closer to the gate Rose could see the clashing magic rising in the air, and hear the sharp resonance of swords as they were brought together those wielding them fighting a deadly dance. Although she could hear the skirmish and see the magic, they weren't yet close enough to actually see who was fighting. A small part of her hoped it had nothing to do with Captain Hook or her daughter's powers. Although a larger part of her seemed resigned that this breach of the Gate had everything to do with Ariana.