Grim Days

The clouds were overtaking the sky with gloom in the empty city. The empty country. I was the only one insane enough to stay. The only other reminants were the eroded buildings and broken down cars. Everybody had left prior to now, rightfully so. It was dangerous. Those who didn't make it out were just laying there. Poor souls. I was walking along the shore, going towards the darkness. I knew there was more to this. I would've just let it alone if I knew, but it's not like I can just ask a ghost, now can I?

As I was going towards the thing everybody dreaded, i noticed something inside. Now, this is something you dont want to be around. Everywhere it went, death followed. Nobody alive knows what this is, what destruction it really brings. I hid behind a boat that was brought ashore and was now completely unsuitable for use in the water.

The "thing" i noticed was millions of tiny dots of glowing crimson, and... fur? Scales? Both maybe. I had only heard about this, along with everybody else in my school, in history class. Huge serpants, terrifying wolves with seriously overgrown teeth, many more monstrosities I cant even name. Immediately I knew what it was.

The creatures of grim.

But, what are they doing here now? I thought they were gone forever. You see, the creatures of grim were fought against after the first devistation they brought. My father was brought up in a world where they were unforgiving rulers. From the moment he could stand it, he started to get trained to fight them - along with many others around the world - in secret. There was an underground battle arena for the students who grew up to be strong. That was to get the ones even stronger to be the leaders of squadrons that would bring humanity into battle. An uprising.

I was hidden behind that boat fairly well, but I knew i couldnt stay there forever, so I tried to find a place to go before planning something to do about this. I spotted a broken building around 10 feet away. If i hurry, I can make it without being caught.

I ran over as quick as I possibly could, and I don't think that I was spotted. I need to think of a plan now, or I'm dead. I could just go in full force, but the probability of surviving that is slim. I could do something else, a little more complex, but something only I, as i know of, can do. I could create the beacon. I could summon anybody I needed, but it will take time. I need something to make sure they stay distracted while I do this.

If I make noise here, they will come. I'll move the first chance I get to the next few buildings down.

I made as much noise as I could and then left to go to the almost fully eroded building a few feet away.

Okay, you can do this. Concentrate. Feel it. I kept repeating this to myself until I believed it. I stared intensely at my arm, eyes moving towards my hand as I raised it above me. I could feel the surge of energy flowing through my whole body. As soon as that feeling climaxed, I slammed my hand on the concrete floor and focoused on who I needed most.

My father, the toughest to defeat, Mark.

The most respected out of all, Felix.

The one who would bring a gun to a knife fight, Sean.

The most strategic, Bob.

And, to bring it to a close, Wade. The one who shouldnt be underestimated or thought of as weak. Seriously, dont do it.

I also brought the squadrons they had previously led. They know what it means to have that beam of light appear near them. Quick as I had the beam touch the sky, dozens came flooding in, bearing full armor and weapons. I myself had come prepared and brought my own personal weapon, the ruby red sythe my father had given to me.

"We all know why we're here. Danger. I need every single one of you to fight along with me. One person, one squad, wont be enough. I need you all. You have done this before, you can do it again. Trust me, I would know." I got a few half-hearted laughes from the group. They, along with the rest of the world, knew what I can do. I was the only one who could do what it is I do best. Use my powers. Dont ask how, nobody had been able to explain it. All i know is how to control them.

"Ok everybody, lets go save the world."