chapter 4

I walk with Steve up to my new room. "Why don't you take a shower, once you're finished we could head to the hardware store and pick up some paint and stuff to start decorating your room," he tells me. I nod and then he shows me where all of the stuff in the bathroom is. He reaches up and grabs a white fluffy towel from the top shelf and hands it to me. "There's already soap and shampoo in the shower, turn the knob to the left to turn on the shower." He walks out of the room and I hear the elevator ping in the distance.

After the best shower of my life I get out and change into an outfit I find folded on the bed. I unfold it to see a dark green sweater and overalls. I throw it on and find that it's a size or two too big. I shrug, at least it's better than what I normally wear. I quickly brush my hair and teeth before walking out to the elevator. I look at all the buttons and press floor number 93 which is the common area. It used to be Tony's penthouse before he turned the stark tower into the Avengers headquarters. On my way up I go through all the floors in my head. In total there are 93 floors. The avengers live on floors 82-93. Each avenger gets their floor with rooms designed to their liking and needs. Above us is Clint and below us is Natasha. On the floors not for living there are a common room, movie theater, kitchen, and a medical area. Under the avenger's floors, there is Tony and Pepper's apartment. Everything below that is for Stark Industries excluding Dr. Banner's lab and both of tony's workshops.

As the elevator dinged and I walked into the common room I saw a couple of the avengers. Some turned their heads when the elevator dinged. Steve got up from where he was seated. "Hey, Everleigh! I'm glad you found your way all right, and I see you're wearing your new outfit. I hope it fits alright, I didn't know what size to get." I smile and nod my head "It's a little big but thank you so much!" He also tells me that Natasha's coming with us so we wait for her to meet us.Finally, she comes up in the elevator and we get in. Steve and Natasha were talking about where we should go. The elevator moved so fast that we were on the ground level in less than a minute. We walked out of the elevator and went into a car garage. I could tell that none of these were Tony's because none of them looked new or shiny. There was a whole bunch of worn down average cars. Steve walked over to a little black bug and I climbed in the back. Both Natasha and Steve were wearing hats and sunglasses. I thought that was pretty ridiculous though, what kind of a disguise is a hat and sunglasses?

We arrive at a hardware store I have never heard of and Steve parks. Once inside we walk to an area with a bunch of paint samples. I choose a nice muted yellow. "Are you sure this is the one?" Steve asks me. I nod "Yellow is my favorite color!" Then we are given three cans of yellow paint. We walk to another area that has lights. Steve picks out a nice ceiling light and lets me pick out a string of fairy lights. I go for just white lights and we check out. We get back in the car and drive to Target. I was amazed at how large this store was, it had everything! I picked out a nice white comforter with yellow and green flowers on it. We also got a coat rack. Eventually, we made our way back to the tower. I was so excited to decorate my new room! This was the most stuff I had ever had for myself

We brought everything up to my room and started to get to work. Steve put blue tape around the edges of the room and started painting. I helped make my bed with the new sheets a comforter. I also got to help do some painting, while Steve did the edges of the walls I did the center. It was fun, I've never painted before, though I did not like the feel of dry paint on my hands. After a while, we finished the first coat and Steve turned to me "wanna grab some lunch?" he asked. I nod. We get on the elevator and go up to the kitchen. Steve asks what I want. "uh, What about oatmeal?" he frowns. "oatmeal? That's what you want?" I stare at him. Did I say something wrong? Is that not what I should have said? "Everleigh, what do you normally eat at the orphanage?" I panic, If I tell him the truth will I get in trouble? Will the orphanage get in trouble? I quickly wipe the confused look off my face. "oh! Sorry, I just eat oatmeal at the orphanage a lot because it's quick! I love oatmeal" Technically half of that was true, I was used to eating oatmeal at the orphanage because it was quick and cheap...and because I was told I did not deserve anything more than oatmeal. "well I'm not sure that we have oatmeal but I'll put it on the list. What other food do you like?" he says. I think, when was the last time that I had something that wasn't oatmeal, bread, or soup. I shrug "I dunno, why don't you pick," I say. He gives me another weird glance and then suggests we go out to eat. I agree I've never eaten at a restaurant before.