Chapter Ten ~ Into the Forested Mountains

November 2nd, 1809.

Rogue Mountains, Oregon Province.

Clouds slowly began to cover the sky as the day grew long. Lucius, Garen, Peter, and Lenora met the Bishop at the exit of the village. The children wore different clothing now, not only for armor, but also, so Lenora could hide the fact that she was a princess. She wore a brown leather vest that acted as armor over a long-sleeved black shirt, a pair of black pants, thick, brown boots, and she pulled her hair back into a ponytail. She wore the belt of daggers around her waist and carried the crossbow across her back. Peter and Garen wore similar armor, only Peter had a red cloak with a cross emblem on the back and Garen had a purple tunic under his vest instead of a black long-sleeved shirt like the other two. All three of them also carried the same shield—a thick, wooden shield with a red, metal plate over the top of it, the center bearing the same cross emblem on Peter's cloak. The Bishop looked at the three children and nodded with approval.

"Looks like you three are ready," he said. "Lenora, dear, did anyone recognize you when you were making your way out of the village?"

"No, sir," Lenora replied, shaking her head.

"Good, good." The Bishop walked ahead, using a polished, wooden staff as a walking stick. He looked into the forested mountains that lie ahead of them, his old eyes fraught with concern. "Those beasts are still out there..." His words were barely audible, but Garen still heard him. "They'll stop at nothing, won't they? Hm." He closed his eyes and lowered his head in silent prayer. Lucius and Lenora followed suit, but Garen and Peter simply exchanged confused glances. Garen finally realized what they were doing and noticed that Lenora was doing so, and when he realized that, he closed his eyes and bowed his head as well. They did this for a single moment before they finally looked forward and began their walk towards the unknown, towards certain danger.