Sibling Bonding

It was a cloudy April morning, and children were already being hauled to school either by bus or their parents. Said school was an impressive two stories, a pristine white building with several windows and overly large classrooms.

        I stalked behind a group of three, two of the children I knew all too well. The eldest and tallest of the trio was a young girl with flaming locks of auburn hair, all pulled into a neat ballerina bun. The second was obviously her younger brother, who I knew was in third grade, with the same scarlet hair as wild as the jungle, untamable and unruly. Their only difference was their eyes. The girl's eyes were the same colour as the ocean on a stormy day, green with tinges of blue, grey and silver, but the boy's were a delicate cinnamon with a deep brown rim around the iris. The last of the trio was like their opposites, a young boy in seventh grade as well, with dark skin and eyes like the sky, coloured blue with flecks of grey. His own hair was dark, short, and well kept, unlike the other boy of the group.

        All that aside, only one of the children had sparked my interests.

        "I'm not going to English today," The girl had commented idly, eyes trained on the smartphone she gripped in her hands tightly, fingers moving across the screen rapidly.

        "No prob," The boy her age had told her, "As long as you come to Math, it's all good." After all, that was the only subject the two had together. It would be a disappointment not to have his best friend by his side while he sat through both their least favourite subjects.

       "Middle school is weird," The youngest wrinkled his nose, looking up at his sister as he spoke, "How come you guys get different teachers for each class?"

        "Because our teachers aren't smart enough to teach all subjects, Luke." His sister had answered, the ghost of a smile on her lips.

        I'd even laughed at the younger girl's comment, "Ah, I adore this one's attitude," I'd breathed out idly, though my eyes were trained on her brother, Luke.

        "If they're so dumb, you should do something," The mischievous glint in his eyes were familiar to me, and I knew exactly what his next words would be. "You should teach them a lesson, it is April first."

        I couldn't hold back my grin any longer as my head whipped over to Lucas's sister, who'd finally looked up from her phone. "What exactly do you expect me to do, toss a couple nails on their chairs?" At least I liked the idea, though I knew a child such as Lucas had other plans on his mind.

        "Of course not, that could get you expelled!" He exclaimed in bewilderment, "Take something from their desks, something important so they'll notice."

        "Putting nails on their stools would have been exciting," I listed off, disappointment flooding my tone, "Though, this certainly is a start." Once he was older, he'd totally get into more exciting pranks. Whether that was several years from now or simply next month, only the man in the moon could tell.

        "Their marking book," The elder boy had come up with, a grin on his face, "We could take it from miss Laurence." He'd named their Math teacher without hesitation, and I'd looked from all the children's faces with excitement.

        "This sounds enjoyable," I commented, a content smile gracing my face as I followed behind the children.

        "April fools is dumb," The elder sister had finally declared with a roll of her eyes.

        "First of all, you *flagitious gremlin, it's April Apati,"I corrected, deciding on rambling to the children who obviously weren't aware of my presence, "Apati was the original term, not fools. What an *excerebrose translation."

        The group continued on in an awkward silence, Lucas staring down at the floor in what appeared to be sadness. He'd finally appealed to his older sister, only to be shot down without a second thought.

        I only sighed, silently thanking the heavens as the children stopped in front of the large, looming front doors of the school. "One sec," The lone female of the group said quickly, "Let me see if I have my science book in my bag, then I won't bother heading to my locker."

        I moved swiftly in front of the girl, bending to her height before I could lose my chance. "I will not let a child ruin my fun," I hissed, though the smile on my face contradicted my angry tone. A simple tap or my finger to her nose was all I needed, her dazzling emerald eyes snapping up as if awoken from a trance.

        "Y'know, how about it?" She turned to the two boys, who eyed her in confusion. "Let's go grab miss Laurence's bag later."

        "Much better," I stated, smile widening into a childish grin.

        My grin could only widen as Lucas grabbed his sister's hand, eager to go find the teacher's classroom. The boy they were formerly walking with had been left behind, watching the siblings wonder off with a bewildered expression on his face.

Flagitious: Thoroughly wicked or villainous. From Latin flagitium (Shameful act).

Excerebrose: Brainless. From Latin ex (out, without) and cerebrum (brain).

Author Here!

I really like how this is turning out so far, comments and favourites appreciated!