Chapter 14- A Christmas Party

The school was soon piling up with snow, as the winter season swiftly approached, and another month went by. November had proved to be a much more enjoyable month. Well, for Frankie at least. She no longer had petty magical pranks being pulled on her every other day by the Slytherin girls. Although Tom was particularly vague about it in his letter, she'd figured out their intentions for herself and knew she ought to stay away from them now. Well, technically, Peter Vogel had told her the day after Halloween why they despised her and promptly walked away. It had been their first and only conversation, but at least someone had bothered to give her a proper warning. Later, when she tried to talk to Tom about it, he acted completely oblivious to the fact he had three girls already so ridiculously enamored with him that they would do such horrible things to someone they thought was a threat. He simply told her not to worry and that he was 'dealing with the situation' himself. A gravely, ambiguous statement that had her practically twisting his arm until he was forced to comply to her wishes instead. As the one person currently at Hogwarts that knows far too well of what Tom Riddle is capable of, Frankie made him feverously promise he would never retaliate. Apparently revenge in his usual style wasn't necessary anyway. Angry glares and the occasional harsh comment were enough to keep them at bay, for now.

However, Tom still meant to do something about Lyra anyways, despite her wishes and despite his own promises. He'd truly meant what he said in that letter, and he was extra determined to find a way to make it look like an accident...

It was soon the night before winter vacation and the castle was preparing itself for the joyful holidays ahead. After a giant feast, most of the students rushed back to their dormitories to pack their bags and journey home. However, if you didn't have a family and weren't particularly hungry that evening, you'd be like Frankie. She was sitting in the warm glow of the lamp light, reading, A Guide to Medieval Sorcery, long before the rest of her house returned. Eventually, the other four girls sifted in to start vigorously packing for the trip back home.

"If you're going downstairs later, would you mind finding Quin and giving this back to him for me?" Daphne inquired. She had appeared at Frankie's side holding a telescope that she'd almost packed away. "He let me borrow it last week after Lyra 'accidentally' shattered mine."

"Don't you live in the same village as him though?"

"Yes, but he'll be cross if I give it to him at home. He'll forget it there and then try to blame me for his poor memory."

"Alright, I'll do it. Do you know where I might find him then?" Frankie asked. While she hadn't been at supper this evening to verify that this fact was still true, Quin hadn't been showing up for meals all week. It got to the extent that she'd even questioned him about it a few times. He always laughed far too loudly and claimed he'd been sitting at the other end of the table, which was more than a little suspicious.

"I think I saw him going into Slughorn's class earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if he was being forced to take some remedial lessons before the break. He didn't do well on the last exam." Daphne explained, with a slight scoff, as she threw a few more garments into her rucksack.

"Honestly, after all the help Tom and I have given him." Frankie sighed, shutting the book, and tossing it aside. She searched under her bed, until she found her Potions textbook and started to search it for helpful hints that she could give Quin before he left for the break.

Everyone's things were eventually packed in smaller traveling bags for the Christmas vacation they were given, except Frankie's things. All her roommates were going home to their families, but she and Tom, having no families to return too, had agreed they'd rather stay here then go back to the orphanage for Christmas.

"Why do you all have to leave?" Frankie groaned, as she took a brief pause from the book.

"I'd stay if I could, but my parents want me to come home." Daphne replied. The other girls nodded in agreement. Although, Frankie knew that it was just an excuse to make her feel better. In reality, they actually missed their parents and wanted to return home. They would get to sleep in their own rooms and eat home-cooked meals. This was their first time away from mom and dad, surely, they all felt a little homesick by now.