Chapter 44- A Starry Night

There had never been, and probably never would be, a happier night at Wool's Orphanage. For a moment they were briefly freed from the tyranny and constant oppression of a world that labeled them as bottom layer scum. Tom and Frankie decided to live up to their irresponsible nature, since Mrs. Cole was going to give them hell anyway, and turned the first night of summer into a celebration. Instead of even attempting to fix the ceiling hole, they made it larger and transfigured a ladder to climb through it to the roof. The pair gazed out over the hazy city of chaos together, for once feeling as though they were on top of the world. It was reckless given London's current predicament, but they didn't really care. Inevitably, the other orphanage kids followed after them. All were soon settled atop with their blankets and pillows to hear Frankie's wonderfully spun tales. She spoke of a world of witches, wizards, and magical beasts. Tom chimed in every so often to add more factual realism to what was supposed to be fictional accounts.

Mrs. Cole found them all the next morning passed out on the roof and nearly collapsed from the shock of it. They certainly stirred after a horrific shriek of panic had woken them up. She came back around, unfortunately, and they were given the usual punishments. But, little did she know, Tom could curse again. There was nothing Mrs. Cole could do to them that could rival one of his punishments. While he still couldn't be as plain and obvious as he'd like to be, as long as he didn't point a wand to her face, the Ministry wouldn't be the wiser. He'd always been really good at making things look like an accident. No one would bear witness to the horrible act he inflicted on her. Let's just say, there was another one of his infamous "incidents" that ended with her having to wear a neck brace for most of the supposed vacation. It must've been satisfying, whatever he had done. Frankie caught him smiling, almost every time Mrs. Cole passed them by in a particular haste. She didn't want to smile along with him, but sometimes she couldn't help it. After months of misery, Tom was in the best spirits he would probably ever be in, and everything was normal between them again. They had somehow managed to go back to the way things were. All the drama that happened at school seemed to disappear into a foggy blur. As much as they hated the orphanage, it was a place where no one magical could find them. Being completely severed from the magical world wasn't always a luxury, but for once it was exactly what they needed.

It was nearly the end of summer when things suddenly turned horribly wrong again.

                                                *~*~*

Tom walked with a quickened pace throughout the house, obviously looking for something in desperate vain. A few days a week at exactly this time, Frankie would disappear. He did not know where, or how she managed to escape his view long enough to accomplish this, but she seemed to vanish into thin air. Then, she would simply come back and act like she hadn't left, no matter how much he pestered her about it. Tom sat down at the table giving up on his search for a moment, but just as he sat down he heard a rustling in the bush followed by a small yell of shock. He went to check and sure enough there she was, lying face first on the ground.

"Urgh..." Frankie mumbled, wiping the various twigs and leaves off her face.

"What are you doing?" Tom asked, just staring down at this odd behavior. His voice ringed with utter humiliation and an 'I-don't-know-you' kind of tone, despite the fact he was not the one on the ground and there was no one else around to witness her foolish mistake.

"I tripped. That's all." she answered, simply, rubbing one of her red cheeks.

"You tripped because you snuck out through the bushes again, idiot." he sighed, helping her to her feet. "Where have you been?"

"Nowhere." Frankie answered, refusing to return his gaze. It was always easy to tell when she was lying. He thought that might've changed during their time apart, but he could still see her very clearly.