You've passed

Pine needles whipped the figure sprinting through the dense Forrest, tearing at his face as he passed. He'd only been running for a short time, but the boy was already beginning to tire. From time to time he stumbled, but managed to keep his balance.

The boy couldn't help glancing backwards as he ran. Something was moving behind him, creeping through the undergrowth. It was getting closer. He whimpered a desperate whine, and continued to run.

The clothes he wore were caked with mud and sweat. His feet were bleeding through his socks- his shoes lay with his wand, abandoned next to the river a short way back. In his panicked scramble to escape, he'd forgotten to pick either up. The latter would have been more useful, but at this stage he was desperate for anything to throw, anything to distract the creature chasing him.

He'd never been to this part of the wood before, never dared to venture this deep. All the trees looked the same in the dark and for all the boy knew he'd been running in circles. Even if he'd known where he was, he couldn't have escaped. The creature was gaining on him.

The boy knew he couldn't keep going for much longer.

Shielding his face with his arms, the boy slowed, panting. His breath appeared in front of him, curling upwards and disappearing into the night. He fell to his knees.

There was no use in crying out, no one would be able to hear him. He was all alone.

Reaching behind him, he felt around for anything he could use to defend himself. His fingers trailed through leaves and mud. The boy scanned the clearing desperately for a branch- his eyes fell on one a few metres away and he lunged for it.

Wielding the "weapon", he stared into the darkness.

The wind picked up, rustling the leaves around him and bringing up goosebumps on the boy's bare arms.

The Forrest watched on as his pursuer entered the clearing.

For a few moments, nothing happened. Two pairs of eyes met, and time seemed to stop altogether. The only sounds were the boy's breath and the wind in the trees.

It took the boy a second before he realised he was crying. He gripped the branch tighter, angling in towards the wolf. The creature took one look, then snapped the end with one lazy bat of its powerful paw.

The boy finally broke eye contact, gazing down at his own pathetic form. The creature was only a few metres from him now. This was the end. He knew with utmost certainty that he would die there, helpless and alone.

He curled into a ball, tensing as he anticipated the attack. The wolf snarled.

It padded forward softly, and for a fleeting moment the boy was glad for the warmth of the creature's breath. Fur tickled his bare arms. The boy shuddered as his tears made tracks in the dirt on his cheeks.

He reached forwards, winding his fingers into the wolf's matted coat, embracing the animal. Sobbing quietly, the boy felt strong muscles tense above him.

The creature moved, quick as a flash, and clamped its iron jaws around his earlobe. He couldn't stop himself crying out, a terrible, shaking sob. There was a pause, and the boy realised he wasn't the only one trembling.

"You don't have to do this" he whispered, knowing it wouldn't make a difference, wishing he had something better to say.

In a searing flash, his ear was ripped clean off. The pain was so much worse than he ever could have imagined. A million needles shot through his arm, shredding his arteries. He felt claws digging into his chest, shattering his ribs, piercing his lungs and heart. Writing under the beast, the boy struggled for a few moments before coming to rest.

The wolf licked a jagged cut on his face cautiously. His prey remained still.

***

I wanted to hold you
As you made your escape
But now I should have told you
When your eyes were alive and awake
Always in life we all must make this mistake

And so I go it alone
And the pressure is great
I hold on to my own
Oh, please - oh, don't go away

***

You've passed
Neutral Milk Hotel
On Avery Island
1996