16; Memories

Harrison hugged both girls. His wife and his daughter. It was somewhat of a shock he and Carrie were home safely. On the other hand it wasn't, since he and Carrie had been so determined to make it back to Billie. They knew they could do it, and they did.

He then stepped out of the girl's embrace once he saw Matt's family beside his. Carrie took Billie from him and handed her to her mother. She then walked by his side over to Matt's family.

Harrison slipped the letter from the front pocket of his uniform. "I'm sorry," was all he could say as he handed the letter to Matt's wife Karen.

Carrie slipped her hand into his and gave it a squeeze. "He's..." she trailed off as she opened the letter. "He's gone?"

"I'm sorry."

They watched helplessly as she began to cry. Their little daughter Rachel tapped her momma's hand. "Where's daddy?"

That's when Carrie lost it. She couldn't see herself in Karen's position right now. There would be no way she could handle the grief of losing Harrison, and having to raise Billie by herself. She and Karen had been friends since she met Harrison. He and Matt were best friends. The three of them went through basic training together.

"Mommy?"

"Daddy passed away sweetie."

Carrie then hugged Karen who read the letter over her shoulder. "If you need anything, please let us know."

"What happened Carrie?"

Harrison stepped in to explain what happened that night. "Carrie, did you get the guy who killed Matt?"

She nodded. "I took care of him."

"Thank you Carrie. Thank you Harrison."

While still hugging Karen, Carrie whispered, "we didn't bring him home safely."

Karen's arms tightened around Carrie. "Don't blame yourselves. You did everything you could. Matthew died for his country. You three faced hell that night. And every night you were over there. Fate took my Matthew. Matt would want us to stay strong for each other."

Both Harrison and Carrie nodded. She was right. As Carrie and Karen separated, Carrie once again told her to let her or Harrison know if she needed anything no matter how big or small it was. After Harrison gave Karen and Rachel a hug, he, Carrie, and Billie went to meet their own families.

✎✎✎

The three of them went to dinner before coming home to spend their first night together in three and a half months. Harrison and Carrie, of course, made Billie sleep with them. They had just gotten home and weren't ready to let her go yet. Billie crawled into her parents bed with her favorite stuffed animal and favorite blanket. "Mommy I got everything."

Carrie held her daughter's blanket and stuffed animal as she crawled up onto their bed. Little B crawled across their king size bed and to her mommy's side where she handed her favorite stuffed bear back. "B, I remember when daddy and I picked this out for you. We found out we were being deployed for a fourth tour and we got this for you. It was an early birthday present. And it helped comfort you when daddy and I weren't there."

"But you and daddy will be here forever now right?"

She nodded. "We're not going back."

Billie rested her head against her mommy's shoulder. "Good."

Carrie moved her arm around Billie. She grimaced when her shoulder popped. It was something she was used to now that she'd gotten shot again. It turns out the bullets that barely scraped her arm did in fact do some damage. When she first got shot in that shoulder, it was a direct hit and the doctors had to repair it with a plate. Well, after she got shot for the second and third time in that shoulder, one of the bullets hit the plate. It would need to be surgically repaired once again. The medics who checked her out weren't sure if she would regain full comfortable movement in her shoulder.

"Are you okay mommy?"

Her answer was a nod. "Are you sure mommy?"

"Yeah I'm sure B."

At that moment Harrison walked into their bedroom. "Daddy!"

"Hey B."

Her eyes widened when she saw the wound on her daddy's leg. "What happened?"

He covered the gunshot wound with his hand and cussed himself out in his head for forgetting to wrap it. "Daddy got shot," Carrie answered for him.

Harrison slowly walked back out and into the bathroom to wrap his leg. "Mommy, what happened?"

"Your daddy got shot. I don't know what happened. I was unconscious."

Billie looked alarmed. "You were unconscious?"

Carrie nodded. "Your daddy took care of me."

"Daddy protected you?"

"He sure did."

Harrison came back in the bedroom and jumped right onto the bed. The impact made Billie bounce off her mom. "Daddy!" He tickled her. "That tickles."

Carrie joined in by reaching over her daughter and getting her husband where he was most ticklish. His sides. They kept going until everyone was out of breath from laughing.

He sat up and put his arm around both Carrie and Billie. "B, mommy and I have something to tell you. It's very important."

"What's that?"

Harrison looked over at Carrie and nodded. "B, how would you like a brother or a sister?"

She tilted her head to the side and raised her eyebrows. "A brother or a sister?"

Her mommy bit her lip, hoping things weren't about to get bad. "What would you say if we told you we were getting you a brother or a sister?"

Little Billie's face lit up. "Okay mommy. When are we going shopping?"

Both Harrison and Carrie started laughing. Billie just looked up at her parents in confusion. "B, that's not how it works. Your father and I will explain it to you when you get a lot older. But I'm pregnant B. Your daddy and I are having another baby which means you are getting a little brother or sister soon."

"When?"

She smiled. "The baby has to grow in my belly sweetie."

"I'm getting a brother or a sister?"

"Or even both," Harrison added.

A huge smile broke across Billie's face. "I can't wait mommy and daddy! I'm getting a brother or sister or both!"