Chapter Twelve

* NOT PROOFREAD *

Chapter Twelve...

Before I even opened my eyes, I heard the loud crash and a sobbing scream and I knew what was happening.

My heart sunk back and my stomach rolled, making me want to throw up the awful dinner I had only an hour or so ago.

I lifted my blanket off of me and before I knew I was out my door. Momma had thousands of times told me to not get out of my room even if I heard her scream or cry.

But how could I not?

Though I knew better than going downstairs but it seemed as if my feet had mind of their own. I was on the last stair, trying to get a peek of what was happening.

My legs shook and my heart felt like it was going to explode in my chest. And it probably did when mom toppled and sprawled on the floor. I gasped, tears streaming down my cheeks in seconds.

My hands and legs felt numb, as I watched mom's face. Her one eyes was forced shut, her cheek was swelled and the side of her forehead was bleeding. I could see the gash on it.

I wanted to rush to her and help her but there was nothing a six year could do, not much anyway. And when she saw me, she quickly shook her head at me-- wanting me to run back. Tears streaming down her cheeks, as she sobbed quietly.

I knew my dad was drunk and angry. I didn't understand why he did what he did.

Dad came out of the kitchen with a pan in his hand-- I could tell it was hot, my tears broke into silent sobs. He didn't know I was there. Until I accidently hiccuped and he turned around.

Mom grabbed his foot. "NO NO NO. Please don't do anything to her. She's just a kid. Your kid. Please..." But her pleadings were in vain.

He grabbed my arm and crouched down in front of me. My heart was out of my chest and I felt breathless. His eyes were dark red and I felt terrified.

"You little bitch..." He snapped. He'd never called me that before. I didn't even recognized the person in front of me.

I swallowed, crying and sobbing because his hold on my elbow was hurting me.

I tried to wiggle out of his grasp while mom kept begging him to let me go.

He didn't.

He dragged me across the room, and stopped in our living room. He picked up his burning cigarette and gazed down at me.

He evilly smiled. "Do you want to feel what mommy is feeling, kid?" I didn't quite understand what he meant by that, but I heard mom yell before he pinched the tip of his hot cigarette on the inside of elbow.

I cried out in pain, wiggling. But my efforts were in vain too. . .

I bolted upright, panting. Darkness closely fading from my eyes. I was heaving, breathless. My face felt wet. I brought my fingers up to my cheeks and they were indeed damp. I'd been crying.

I swallowed the lump which had stuck at the back of my throat and brought my knees to my chest, letting the tears fall silently.

When I felt better, I wiped my tears away and realized it was almost time for school-- my only escape. I took a quick shower because the water was icy cold and it was already freezing outside. I scrambled into my blue jeans and when I was about to pull on my new light grey sweater, I noticed the circle on the inside of my elbow, as if it was carved in me.