12. The Pond

It had been 10 months since Natsu had seen Lucy. 10 monthes since he had heard anything about Lucy. After the incident with her father, no one dared to even mention her name. It was as if the guild members thought that if they talked about Lucy, Natsu would shatter into a million pieces. 

He never talked about her with anyone, and he never went back to the hut. It brought back too many memories. Memories in which he cherished, but sometimes wanted to forget. A day never went by when Natsu wouldn't think of Lucy, even just a little, but he never let it show. He talked and laughed with the people at the guild, and even made a few new friends. Anyone would think that Natsu had simply gotten over what had happened. That he had just forgotten all about Lucy. But he would never forget.

Now, Lisanna, who had been missing ever since the day she and Natsu had had that conversation by the river, was facing Natsu with a serious expression on her face. She had returned back to the guild, only to drag Natsu out to a beautiful pond in the middle of the forest that surrounded them. She told him the exact words in which he had been longing to hear ever since the day Lucy left. But the words also scared him.

"I know where Lucy is."

Natsu stepped back, tripping over a small rock. He lost his balance and fell straight into the cold pond. Lisanna immediately plunged in after him, helping him out, and then pulling herself out. She looked at his wet, shaggy hair and began laughing. Natsu broke into a huge grin and joined in with her laughter.

"You look rediculous!" Lisanna giggled, pointing at him.

"Hey! You don't look much better," Natsu pointed out. 

Lisanna looked down at her soaked dress and sighed. "Great. Now what am I going to where?"

Natsu looked at her. "Don't you have other clothes?"

"Yes, but they're all at Mystogan's house," she explained.

"Mystogan? Who's Mystogan?"

Lisanna seemed startled, as if she had just blurted out something she shouldn't have said. "Oh. Right. I didn't tell you about him. He's who I've been staying with for the past couple of monthes."

 Natsu's eyes widened. "Oh. Well, where does this guy live?"

"Um, well..." Lisanna looked at Natsu a little nervously. "We've sort of been using your hut."

"What? Why?"

Lisanna shrugged. "It's a nice space. And, besides, it's not like we have anywhere else stay."

Natsu shook his head. "You could've gone back to the guild, Lisanna."

"Yes, you're right. I could've done that." She crossed her arms.

"So then...?"

Lisanna looked away, not making eye contact. "I didn't want to. I mean, I didn't know if you were still mad or whatever, and-"

"Don't," he said abruptly. "That's not fair. Okay?"

"What's not?"

"Don't say you didn't come back because of me." Natsu narrowed his eyebrows.

Lisanna sat back down on a large rock. "I really didn't mean it that way. I mean, I don't mean to blame you or anything."

"Well, you kind of did," Natsu pointed out. "Elfman and Mira were worried sick for almost a year! We searched everywhere, but you were no where to be found. We thought you were dead!"

"Stop!" Lisanna screamed. "I don't want to hear that!"

Natsu's expression softened. "I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine." Lisanna brushed some of her hair out of her face. "I should have gone back. But I was just so scared, you know? Of what people would think of me. I know what I did was wrong, but I was so sick of being judged every second of the day for it."

Natsu suddenly stood up. "Oh, that reminds me. You said you knew where Lucy is. Is that true?"

"Of course," Lisanna said. "But..."

Natsu looked at her, waiting for her to elaborate. 

"But it's not going to be easy. Finding her, I mean." She began pacing back and forth around the small pond. "You see, Natsu, there's a lot of things you don't understand about this world."

"What are you talking about?"

Lisanna thought for a moment. "Well, I don't blame you, of course. I used to be the same. But Mystogan told me all about our parallel world, Edolas."

Natsu cocked his head to the side. "Huh?"

"I know it sounds crazy, but it's true," Lisanna assured. "Now, follow me. There's someone I want you to meet."

~~~

Lucy felt cold. In fact, that was the only thing she could feel. Her hair was wet from the damp grass that she was lying in. As she came to her senses, she noticed that she was in a large, empty forest all by herself. What was going on? What had happened?

Lucy stood up and began walking down a small path that she had found, still completely and totally lost. Suddenly, she saw a figure of a person out of the corner of her eye, and she quickly turned around. "Hello?" 

There was no answer. 

Straightening her back, Lucy took a deep breath and tried again. There had to at least be one other person here. "Hello? Is somebody there?"

Silence. Lucy sighed, not knowing what to do. If she didn't talk to anyone, then how could she possibly figure out what the hell was going on? Just where was this place? She had never seen anything like it before.

As she continued to walk down the pathway, she was suddenly reminded of the night she had ran away. On that cold and lonely night, the rain had been pouring down, drenching her from head to toe. She had been lost and had no idea where she was or where she was going. Would this be her entire life? Would she always be lost?

A twig snapped and Lucy whipped around. It seemed to have come from just a few feet away. As Lucy inched forward, she could swear she heard someone breathing heavily. All of a sudden, a hand flew in front of her eyes, leaving her completely blind. She tried to call out for help, but another hand quickly covered her mouth. 

Whoever was doing this was strong and muscular. She didn't have a chance against someone like this. The only thing Lucy could really do was stay silent and not struggle any further as they dragged her away.