Chapter 32: Away Game

Chapter 32

I stopped dead when I walked into the barn. I was not anticipating seeing people but sure enough, Elizabeth, Jessa, and Kylie were sitting on the couch. They were drinking iced tea and giggling, as if this was their personal space.

"What the fuck." I said, extremely self conscious about the clothes I was wearing.

I didn't expect to see anybody today and my wardrobe reflected that. I was wearing thin grey sweatpants, no underwear, and an old ripped t-shirt that hadn't been seen in public ever.

"Oh hey!" Jessa said happily, completely oblivious to my annoyance.

"We decided school was boring so we came out here to chill." Kylie explained, taking a sip of her iced tea. "You're welcome to join us."

"I'm welcome to join you?" I asked, setting my laptop down on the table by the sink. "You're kidding me."

"Sorry, we'll get out of your hair." Elizabeth sighed, starting to stand up from the couch.

"Don't be ridiculous, you're already here." I rolled my eyes, pulling a water bottle out of the mini fridge. "I won't kick you out, but I have work to do you can't bother me."

"Work? As if." Jessa snorted. "You haven't done a day of work in your life."

"College essays?" Elizabeth guessed, walking over to me as I sat down at the table.

"You betcha." I sighed.

"Since when do you have to apply to schools? You're gonna get a football scholarship, easily." Kylie said stupidly, which Jessa happily agreed to.

Elizabeth gave me a look as she sat down in the chair next to me.

"Ignore them." She whispered.

"You have some explaining to do." I whispered back.

"Good thing we have an hour long bus ride tonight to the game." Elizabeth shrugged, leaning back in the chair. "Why aren't you in school?"

"Went to my first three classes, enough to be eligible to play tonight, then decided to peace out." I shrugged.

"Cute clothes." Elizabeth whispered as she stood up from the chair.

"Where were you today?" I asked, watching her butt as she walked back to the couch.

"I'm not playing tonight anyways, I can afford the absence today." Elizabeth replied.

"How'd you girls even get here? There's no cars out there." I frowned, opening up safari to log onto Common App.

"Natalie dropped us off." Jessa shrugged.

"Natalie Porter? Since when do you two hang out?" I asked Jessa, knowing those girls have hated each other.

Jessa shrugged. "She was hella drunk at a party, puking all over herself, so I drove her home. She owes me now."

"Yeah yeah." I rolled my eyes, turning back to my laptop. "Be quiet or leave, I have work to do."

"Yeah whatever. Natalie's here anyways, we'll leave." Jessa sighed, sliding her phone into her back pocket.

Elizabeth glanced around to make sure nobody was looking before tossing her phone on the couch and quickly following the girls out without so much as a goodbye to me.

I frowned, about to stand up to grab it before she burst back into the barn, a grin on her face.

"Forgot my phone." She giggled, walking straight over to me.