Chapter 8 Part 1 - Nutcracker

After an exhausting two days, my Hussars and I finally arrived back at Marzipan Castle. We arrived just as dawn was breaking. Just in time. I dreaded each sunrise in the human world, where we automatically lost the ability to move till nightfall. As we marched through Candyburg, I could see the Hussars gaping at the site.

"Wait till you see what it's like when everyone wakes up and the city comes to life," I told them. "This is your new home."

The Hussars could only nod in agreement. For better or worse, this was their new home now, because after what we had been through, there was no way any of them could go back. I had their loyalty, forever.

We walked into the Castle, and immediately ran into Clara, who was rushing down the hallways.

"Clara."

"Nutcracker!" Clara gasped as she turned and her eyes met mine, two splotches appearing on her cheeks, "You're back, and you brought... friends."

"Not just friends, comrades in arms. Now, aren't you going to prepare a bath for your poor brother and his loyal friends?"

Clara bobbed. "Of, of course! I'll be just a minute."

"I would like a family meeting after my bath," I called after her as she scurried off, "I'm sure you are all curious to know what has transpired."

Clara didn't even look back.

The Nutcracker watched her go. "I want someone following her everywhere. She's up to something."

*******

"Brother Nutcracker!" All my sisters sounded far too cheery. "You're alive!"

They moved around the Hussars, handing out candy apples and eggnog like perfect hostesses. My men were relaxed after the bath, but I knew better than to let my guard down. The great hall was suspiciously empty, with no servants around.

I snorted. "Of course. I haven't seen all of you so cheerful since I defeated the Mouse King. I didn't know that news of the death of the latest traitor travelled so fast, or that you even cared about him."

The youngest quickly shook her head. "Oh, no, of course not. It's just, we were worried, and well, we...ow!"

"You wanted to tell us something?" Clara asked smoothly, pulling her sister back and silencing her with a glare. "It will have to be quick, we must open court in half an hour."

"Perfect," I said. "Shall we continue our talk in the throne room?"

*******

I looked down at the sulky faces of my sisters and smiled. As soon as my men and I had entered the throne room, I had headed for the throne, my Hussars clearing the way for me. As a result, there was a whole room full of people; some of them citizens here to petition the court, ready to listen to my every word.

"You may have heard of the Stahlbaum family. Our dear Marie is one of them. Well, I'm here to tell you that Fritz Stahlbaum has died at the hands of my men and I. To celebrate their loyalty and new freedom, we will feast in their honour tonight."

The crowd did not respond as I had expected. They kept silent, their eyes to the ground. Did they think I would turn on them next? Fools, I needed a Kingdom to rule.

"Is this how you react to good news?" I demanded.

The room stayed silent until one Hussar shouted, "Long live the King!"

"Long live the King!" the other Hussars joined in. They stamped their feet in approval, encouraging the rest of my people.

"Long live the King," my sisters whispered. At a look from the Hussars, their next cheer was shouted.