Chapter Thirteen - The Memorial

Draco joined Andromeda and Harry downstairs in the kitchen around seven, and Teddy woke up soon after that. Andromeda made toast that no one except Teddy ate ("More!") and then the adults all dressed in their sombre black dress robes, left the cottage, and poured in to the waiting Thestral carriage that Harry had arranged with McGonagall the previous day, eating a huge slice of humble pie in the process. Harry's heart had thumped uncomfortably when he saw Andromeda stroking the Thestral before they got in. The unease must have shown on his face, however, for she said gently, "Don't worry, Harry. It was my mother-in-law, twenty years ago, and she had terminal cancer. I was with her when she died." Teddy was the only one in the carriage who could not see the skeletal black horse pulling the carriage, Harry realised, and he vowed to do everything in his power to make sure it stayed that way.

Hogwarts' grounds were already filled with people by the time they arrived. Harry spotted Kingsley chatting with some of the surviving members of the Order of the Phoenix, looking authoritative and grave. He'd done a brilliant job in his first year as Minister, rebuilding the wizarding world and restoring the rights of the Muggle-born. He saw Harry arrive and nodded to him in greeting. Harry was incredibly thankful that Kingsley had accepted his request to not have to make a speech. People stared enough at him these days. He didn't need the added attention.

"I'm still not entirely sure I'm exactly welcome here," Draco said. He nervously fidgeted with the material covering his Mark, in response to the glares he was receiving.

"I've made it clear numerous times that you and your mother both saved my life and defected from Voldemort," Harry replied. "It's not like I invited Fenrir Greyback along. Besides, you're my boyfriend and we come as a pair now. If they want me to stay then no one will say anything to you. They'll have to lump it."

At exactly ten, the entire Weasley family, including Ron and Ginny, arrived. They all looked incredibly pale. Andromeda spotted Mrs Weasley and immediately made her way over to her. The two women began crying when they saw each other and embraced, united in a mother's grief at the loss of a child. Harry swallowed hard and turned away from them. Today was going to be challenging.

"Morning, Harry, Malfoy, Teddy," Hermione said solemnly, approaching him and Draco, who had Teddy balanced on his hip, chewing on the ear of the toy dragon Harry had bought him for Christmas. "We've just been to visit Fred's grave." She dropped her voice so only Harry could hear. This close Harry could see dried tear tracks on her face. "Oh, Harry, it was horrible. Molly began to sob, and George- it was like the light had gone out again. He just stood there and stared at the headstone- he didn't cry or anything. I don't think he slept at all last night."

Just then Ron and Ginny came over. They looked drained.

"Distract me," Ron said. "Please, tell me about your cottage, or whatever. Anything that will take my mind off today." Harry opened his mouth to say something, anything, but, unfortunately, Draco beat him to it.

"Well, Weasley, Harry finally let me do him up the arse," he said. Then his lips curled into a smirk. "That thought ought to distract you for a while."

Harry froze in total horror due to what Draco had just announced. Hermione's eyebrows disappeared into her hairline and she turned scarlet, Ron buried his head in his hands, and murmured, "When I said distract me, this wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I could have happily lived the rest of my life never hearing that," but Ginny threw her head back and roared with laughter.

"Thank you, Malfoy, that really did cheer me up," Ginny spluttered, wiping tears from her eyes as she continued to chuckle.

"You did not just say that," Harry groaned, mortification flooding him. "I can't bloody believe you sometimes."