Chapter Seven

Billie was busy throwing his shirts into the luggage when there was a knock at the door.

     "Shit- I'm coming, hold on!" He called out, zipping the bag shut and leaning it against the wall.

     He waded through the multiple cases and bags that covered the living room floor, fumbling with the lock on the door before wrenching it open.

     "Hey. What's going on in here?" Derek asked, peering over Billies shoulder. Billie quickly stepped in front of him, obscuring his view.

     "It's nothing," he said hurriedly, meeting Derek's puzzled stare. "Um, I don't think I can hang around today. I'm busy."

     Derek just stared at him, eyebrows furrowed. "You're hiding something," he pointed out.

     Billie shook his head. "No, I'm not. I just- hey!" He was pushed aside as Derek shouldered past him into the house.

     He watched in silence as Derek looked around at the baggage in the room, eyes wide. "Are you moving?" He asked, voice small.

     Placing a hand on his shoulder, Billie sighed and moved so he was standing in front of Derek again. "Listen, my band and I...we're going on tour in a few days, and- what the hell is on your face?"

     Derek blinked in confusion. "What?"

     Billie pointed towards the light bruise under Derek's eye. "Did you run into something?"

Dereks hand flitted up to his cheek, eyes widening in realization. "Oh! That's, uh- I don't- um," He stuttered, visibly startled.

"What happened? Did you hit into something? Did someone hit you?" Billie asked, voice growing in volume.

Derek just looked at him in alarm, mouth opening and closing silently. When Billie went to touch the bruise Derek shoved him away roughly.

"It's nothing!" He spat out, averting his eyes as he rubbed at the bruise himself. "Nothing happened, I'm fine."

"Derek," Billie started, his voice dangerously low. "Tell me who hit you."

Derek shot him a nasty glare. "It doesn't fucking matter."

"Was it your dad?"

Derek didn't say anything, just continued to look at Billie, eyes gleaming angrily.

Billie sighed and looked down at the floor for a few seconds before straightening himself back up. "C'mere," he said, moving towards Derek.

This time, when Billie touched him, Derek didn't shove him back. He stood quietly as Billie lightly ran his thumb over the bruise, tilting his head to get a better look at it.

"Does it hurt?"

"No. I told you, it's not a big deal. I'm fine." There was no bite in his tone, but when Billie applied pressure to the injury he flinched away.

"I don't want you around him," he murmured, stepping back out of Derek's space. The younger man just gave him a confused look.

"Yeah, but you're leaving. I'll just lock the door to my room, or go to the park, or..." He trailed off when he noticed Billie staring at him, head tilted as if he were contemplating something. "What?"

Billie hummed thoughtfully. "You should come on tour with me."

Derek gaped at him. "Are you stupid? No way." He shook his head when Billie started to grin.

"Why not? It'll be fun. I can bother you all day and embarrass you infront of my friends." He said, excitement gleaming in his eyes. "Or you can stay home for a few weeks with your dad. Whichever you prefer."