1; trapped

Today marks the day that I have been here for a year, locked in this tiny room. I sit on my bed, my gaze scanning the round space again and again and again, as if I expect anything to change within a matter of seconds. In the beginning things were hard; I was forced to learn witchcraft, and the punishments were severe. I had no choice but to study and learn.

I'm best at potions. I eye the bubbling cauldron in the corner that holds todays concoction. I usually make simple mixtures, things Seren can bring to the people here in the castle. Love potions, potions for healing, energy potions, and a few fatal potions. I haven't delivered any of the potions myself. I've never been outside of this room, but Seren tells me many stories of the castle and it sounds beautiful.

Everyday she gives me a sword, produces a dummy out of, literally, thin air, and has me practice. She gives me many books to read to develop these skills, and I've gotten both stronger and smarter.

I lay back on the bed and trace my fingers across the pale skin of my arm. I haven't looked in a mirror in a year, so I imagine I'd look unkempt if I didn't drink a beauty potion every morning. As does Seren, and I sometimes catch myself watching her, admiring her beauty. Despite us both having consumed the potion, she is the most beautiful; dark and brooding, while I'm fair and airy.

Although Seren is harsh and can be very brutal, there's some kind of gentler quality about her that surfaces when she's working. I imagine watching someone paint a masterpiece is similar to watching Seren use magic.

Over the course of last year, I have learned little about Serens' life and the realm. Seren is the princess of Zinia, second in line for the crown. Although most beings possess some sort of magical power here, witchcraft is forbidden in the land and only permitted by the Kingdoms witch. Seren was apprenticed by her grandmother and took over when she died. Although Seren has only spoken about her death once, the circumstances sounded quite suspicious and I can't help but wonder what lengths Seren went to for this title.

Serens' older brother, Killian, will be accepting the crown when the King passes. I've heard his voice outside of the door, just once, and Seren was quick to send him away. His voice is the only proof I have of the outside world.

I don't know much more about the Kingdom, but I do know that Seren is often angry because of things happening on the outside. She's quick to rant about her always-the-good-guy father, Prince Killian and her mother. I always listen, safely storing any information I may later find useful in the back of my mind.

Three months ago, Seren promised to show me more of the Kingdom after a year of my entrapment. We have yet to go over the terms of the agreement, but I know it won't be easy and I won't be entirely free.

Soon, she will return with dinner. Although I have no way of telling time, I've started to fall into a routine and usually know when Seren will be returning.

I begin lighting the black candles dotting each table, shelf, and even a few spaces on the floor. Soon shadows are flickering around the cramped room, giving it an eery feel.

Once all of the candles have been ignited, I sit on the floor and open a potion book, scanning the pages with a finger until I find the place I left off.

I'm still sitting on the floor when I register the sound of footsteps. The door creaks open, but still I remain reading. It isn't until black, heeled boots kick my foot that I look up. "Seren," I greet.

Seren steps over my outstretched leg and sets a tray down on the table, balancing it carefully on the books scattered across it's surface. "Eat."

I hurry to the table and sit, hungrily digging right in. Although I am not at all deprived of food here, I find myself starving between meals. Mostly because I try to pass the time by practicing my sword work or jogging in place. I have to tire myself out somehow and I must be burning lots of calories while I do so.

Seren produces a few bottles from her cloak and sets them on the shelves. "More ingredients," she tells me. "Not that it matters.." She picks up my potions book from the floor and slides it into place on the shelf.

After a few minutes of uncomfortable silence while she paces back and forth, she waves a hand at me to stop eating and I attentively set my fork aside.

"When I made you that promise three months ago, it was more for my sake than your own. I need you. You are my pawn in this game. I won't succeed without you, but I need you to be on my side."

"You trapped me here against my will and forced me to work for you. Why would I want to help you?"

Her icy blue eyes meet mine and the menacing look sends chills down my spine. "You don't have a choice. Zinia is a Kingdom of magical folk. If anyone finds out that you're a human, you will be either killed or banished, and both of those means a painful death. I don't mind watching you die, Echo."

The rebranded name still surprises me. Echo; a name to fit in with those of this realm. She gave it to me when she promised I'd get to see the rest of her world.

Her words hit me hard and I bow my head in defeat.

Seren sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose. She's still wearing her cloak and shoes, so I offer to take them, trying to get on her good side again.

While I hang up her cloak, Seren takes a look inside of the cauldron. "My brother doesn't know I want the throne. I have the advantage. But my father is getting older and I'm running out of time to find the right apprentice."

"I'm not a witch," I say as I sit on the edge of my bed. "I can't be your apprentice."

"Nobody has to know you're not a witch. We'll hide it. You know all the spells, and I can give you magic everyday."

"My body can't handle it," I remind her quietly, my stomach pinching with fear. Although we've practiced the transfer of magic from witch to human, it always takes a toll on my body and never ended well.

"It doesn't matter, you'll do it to survive." She snaps. Our eyes meet and I wonder if that's true. So far, all I've had to do to survive is live in this small room and make her life easy and comfortable. How far would I go? "You couldn't have believed I'd just release you out there on your own if it didn't benefit me. Otherwise I could keep you locked in here for the rest of your life, making potions and lighting candles. Is that what you want?"

Although I want to believe that I will make it out there by myself, I know it isn't true. I have no idea what this realm could possibly consist of. And of course, remaining in this dimly lit room isn't an option.

"What do I have to do?"

A smile flickers across her pretty features, and those icy blue eyes suddenly seem much less menacing. "None of this is negotiable. I will give you a happy, safe life, and you will do my bidding. You are my apprentice, Echo. You come far from the west at my request to one day take my place. You will live in the castle, a luxurious life. You will be treated like a princess, fed 3 meals a day, you may have access to the Kingdoms funds."

My heart yearns for the safe, happy life she's describing, but I know her demands may only make things worse for me. Yet, I don't have another choice. If I want to find a way to get back to my own realm, I'll need to be close to her. "Okay," I say bravely. "When do we start?"

"Tomorrow," Serene stands, taking her place beside the cauldron. "I'll finish this tonight, you need to get a good nights rest."

For the first time in a long time, I feel hope.

"Thank you." It comes out as a whisper. Although it's for her benefit, I can't help but feel like there's a kinder motive behind it.

Serene seems to pause for a moment, but she's back to adding ingredients to the potion so quickly that I wonder if it really happened.

I drink from a small vial, swishing the silky, flavorless liquid between my teeth for a moment before swallowing. It doesn't take long before it takes effect and I pull the blanket up over my head, falling asleep quickly to the sound of bubbling liquid and humming.