Chapter 24- The Beast in the Shrieking Shack

The rest of vacation had been a fantastic waste of time and mindless frolic. One day, Rodger kidnapped Frankie from studying with Tom to join him and the other seventh year's N.E.W.T procrastination party in the common room. Another morning, Dumbledore had found a sled plastered onto his office wall, amongst the various other odd artifacts, and let Frankie and Ethan borrow it to sled down the snowy hills. They almost ran over several people together, especially when Frankie was at the helm. They discovered she was as nearly bad as driving a sled as she was on a broomstick. Then, of course, there were a couple of snowy Sunday walks. Tom complained like mad, but regardless wrapped that ridiculous striped scarf around his neck and joined her in the silent, frosty air. Tom's fourteenth birthday was also celebrated, despite the fact he would've rather forgotten the day and have everyone go about as usual preparing for New Years. A whole birthday cake was presented to him after supper that evening and of course the other students couldn't just ignore the call of cake, even if they didn't actually know him. Dumbledore supplied celebratory crackers and it was a pleasantly small celebration. Frankie also made sure that she was stapled to his side the entire day, after their first year birthday fiasco.

It was nothing but fun and good cheer for a couple weeks. The vacation, which Frankie was supposed to be dreading, passed by incredibly fast. Soon everyone was returning to school for lessons. Most weren't exactly eager to have to go back to their studies, however, there was not too much despair amongst the higher years. Almost immediately after they got back, would be yet another trip to the village of Hogsmeade.

"—Frankie, you should stay with us this time. Tom always steals you away during the Hogsmeade trips." Daphne exclaimed, as she was folding another jumper to put back in her trunk. She was still unpacking her things from vacation, even though they had gotten back almost a week ago.

"It's not like he plans it." Frankie replied, haughtily. She was on her own bed, hugging the stuffed rabbit Tom had given her for Christmas. She had been very attached to the thing and sometimes smoothed the ears in her hands for comfort. It had been decided that her name was Rue, and she had the same birthday as Tom. Frankie had once read in a children's book at the orphanage, that a stuffed animal's birthday is not on the day it is purchased or received. The day when you tie a ribbon around its neck and give it a name, is the creature's proper birthday. Upon remembering this information, Frankie had brought the rabbit to breakfast, so he could help her decide on a name,

"I still don't know what to name it, Tom. Haven't you got any ideas?"

"You're starting to make me regret giving that thing to you—Give it here."

"You can't hang it from the rafters, Tom. I don't think the Great Hall has them."

"Watch me."

Suddenly, he took the red ribbon from her head and tied it around the rabbit's neck. He named her Rue. It was a 'symbol of his regret'. She stared at him blankly as he handed the rabbit back and continued eating.

"I've read that book too. It was stupid..."

"—I think we should go see the Shrieking Shack. Have you gone yet, Frankie?" Belle chimed in, listening over from her own bed.

"The Shrieking Shack?" Frankie repeated. She had never heard of it before, but it didn't sound like the place you wanted to pay a visit too. It sounded like a shack that, well, shrieked.

"It's the most haunted building in all of Great Britain and it's just over yonder."

"No way. I'm not going anywhere near that place—I hear there are horrible monsters in there." Sara added, from all the way over at her bed.