twenty-seven

A low roar echoes throughout the jungle. We freeze, eyes darting to the open end of the garage, expecting to see the killer dinosaur emerge from the trees. 

"Do you think it's out there?" Gray quivers.

Zach and I meet eyes.

Of course it's out there. We don't know where exactly, but we know it's there.

...but Gray is afraid, and saying that will only make his fear grow, and right now we can't focus on fear.

"No, Gray. It's not," I assure him softly.

"Jonelle is right," Zach backs me up. "I know for a fact that it's not out there. We're safe, okay?" He looks at Gray, searching for acceptance of his words.

Gray swallows and nods.

"Hey, why don't you take a break for a minute? Go sit down by Jonelle." Zach jerks his chin in my direction.

"But... you need help..." Gray says pitifully.

Zach shakes his head. "Don't worry about it, man. This thing is almost done anyway."

Gray bites his lip. "But..."

I hop down. "Tell you what, Gray. We'll trade places. You supervise and I'll help Zach. I can pass him tools or something."

"Okay." Gray plops next to the now-extinguished torch, leaning against the table I was sitting on moments ago.

"Wow, you're actually going to let me tell you want to do?" Zach teases when I come to stand beside him.

"Don't ruin it."

Zach picks up a piece of the Jeep he had removed and repaired, passing it to me. "Take this and put it there." He points to the proper area.

Surprisingly, I do as he says without any smart remarks. It continues like this for a while, the two of us working in silence. Every now and then Zach speaks to tell me what to do or what to give him. The chirps and creaks of the jungle are loud.

Soon, he rubs his hands together. "Okay, I think that should do it." Then he pauses, eyes running over his work one more time. "Wait, actually, pass me the wrench." I give him the tool and he uses it for a moment. "All right. Let's turn it over and see if it works."

Gray hops up before I can get to the driver's side, taking a seat and attempting to start the Jeep.

There's a whining sputter and then the engine turns over, filling the garage with a low purr.

It works.

---

"YOU, backseat. Jonelle gets to sit shotgun." Zach jerks his thumb over his shoulder, causing Gray to roll his eyes but still crawl out.

I get into the passenger seat, but not without giving Zach shit. "Why should you be the driver? I can drive, too."

Gray pipes up from the back. "Yeah, I thought that you failed your driving test."

Zach rolls his eyes and checks the mirrors. "We've been over this. I failed the driving part. Jonelle failed all of it."

"It was rigged," I grumble.

Zach laughs and pats my shoulder. "There's nothing sexier than a sore loser."

"It was never a competition!"

"You only say that because you lost, but I clearly remember-"

Gray groans. "Can you guys do this later? I really want to find a bathroom."

---

"AW, shit. I left my jacket."

We thunder along the quiet jungle, trampling multiple plants. I try to not look at the makeshift road. Zach's going to fast to be able to stop for small animals.

"You shouldn't say 'shit,'" Gray reminds.

"But it was my favorite," Zach complains.

I huff and struggle to adjust the A/C vents. "What do you need your jacket for, anyway? We're on a tropical island. It's hot."

Zach shrugs. One hand is on the steering wheel; the other rests on the bare skin of my thigh, exposed due to my skirt being hiked up slightly. "It completed the look."

"What look? The look of someone who doesn't understand the concept of an equator?" I groan and slap my palm against the dashboard. "For fuck's sake! The air conditioning doesn't work."

"Duh. This is an old-ass Jeep," Zach comments.

"Though we probably could've fixed it," Gray adds. "And you shouldn't say 'fuck.'"

"Great." I sit back against the sticky seats. "The one thing you didn't fix."

Zach scoffs. "Sorry, we were a little busy with trying to get the Jeep to start."

I cross my arms. "Yeah, I guess so."

He turns his head to look at me harshly. "What is your problem? Why are you being such a bitch when we're about to-"

Adjusting my position in my seat, I turn so my torso can fully face him. "I'll tell you why I'm being a bitch: it's too fucking hot and I'm physically, emotionally, and mentally done with this vacation-"

Gray's nervous voice cuts into our argument. "Guys..."

"What, Gray?" Zach sends him a glare in the rear-view mirror. "Can't you see that we're having a discussion?"

"There's a gate in the way."

"What?"

We both look back at the road to see that Gray is right: there's an old fence blocking the path that we're traveling on.

Zach gnaws on his lower lip. "Okay, hold on to something. We're going to ram it."

"What?" I shriek. "Zach, no-"

Before I can get my protest out, he shoves his foot down on the gas. We rocket forward, pinned against our seats.

I close my eyes when we get close. There's a loud, sharp bang, and a small tremor passes through the Jeep.

"Fuck yeah!" Zach yells.

"That was awesome!" Gray shouts.

Since we're still alive, I open my eyes and join in on their laughter. "I guess we now know why you didn't pass your driving test, Zach."

"Oh, please, I know better than to do that on the street." He's grinning, and it's such a beautiful smile, so happy, that I can't help but return it.