The Old Farm House

The thing about kids is that even though you explain everything very clear to them, instinct and nature will always take over. While walking on the Highway, a Walker came out from behind a broken, abandoned car and started for the kids. Instead of remaining calm and getting behind Daryl and Merle, they backed away and started screaming, alerting for sure any other Walkers that may be nearby. Daryl quickly put an arrow in the guys head, pulled it out and ran after the girls. He found them hiding in a bush that was close by, both crying heavily. 

"Shh, come on, it's okay, that Walker is gone." Daryl put his arms around both girls. "Hey, remember what I said about screaming and running away from us? I know it's scary but you have to follow the rules. When you ran away, you could have ran straight into a Walker, we were to far to help. So you guys gotta promise, swear to me that you won't do that again, I know it's scary but you really got to try."

"We will Mr. Daryl, promise we will try harder, don't leave us please." Butterfly pleaded.

"I would never leave you, no matter what."  Daryl tried to convince them.

"Let's get moving, it's spooky here." Merle said.

Daryl lit a cigarette and took a long, deep drag. He wasn't a real smoker but taking long drags on a cigarette right now helped calm his nerves.

The sun was starting to set and they kept looking for some kind of building. They had passed two gas stations earlier. Took some food from each one and continued on. It was too early to make camp. Now of course when they needed to make camp, there were no gas stations. Life was shitty that way sometimes.

They had taken a dirt road that the map said would lead them to another road that would cut across and save them about twenty miles of walking. It was a gamble, getting off the main road but they thought it would be worth it.

"I'm hungry Mr. Daryl," Butterfly said. "Could we stop to eat soon?" 

"Yeah, we are just trying to find some shelter for you girls but if we don't find anything in the next thirty minutes, we'll just have to camp out in the open."

"Out in the open?" Jenny was concerned, she understood the dangers more than her sister.

"Yes, don't worry though, me and Merle will protect you won't we Merle?"

"Oh yeah, we'll be your knights in shining armor." Merle joked.

"Our princes?" Butterfly asked, kind of liking the idea.

"Exactly like that." Daryl said.

They continued to walk quietly, each person keeping their thoughts to themselves. No shelter was found that night so they set up camp underneath a large oak tree that had a limb low enough to push the girls up there if it was needed. Merle built a small fire and they heated up some cans of ravioli for the kids and they ate tuna right out of the can. 

"What I wouldn't give for a nice hot peach cobbler right now." Merle said. 

"With some vanilla ice cream on top?" Jenny asked. Now daydreaming about peach cobbler herself. Heck, a fresh peach would be nice too. You would think that with this being Georgia, there would be peach trees everywhere but she hadn't seen any yet.

"Oh yeah, that's the only way to eat it." Merle said really craving it now.

"I'd take a strawberry shortcake." Daryl said, getting into the game. 

"Me too." Butterfly said raising her hand as if she was in school.

"Someday we will get to eat that again, I promise." Daryl realized just how many promises he had been making lately. He hoped he would be able to keep them.