Chapter 1

"Please

"Please." Nolan begs me as I put away my books.

"No." I slam my locker shut and walk away.

"I'll do your homework for a month." He runs after me.

"Thanks pal but, what do you think I am? Stupid?" I narrow my eyes at him.

"N-no." He stutters, obviously scared of the glare I'm sending his way. I have that affect on people. That's why I don't have many, or any for that matter, friends.

"Hannah come on. We're practically begging you." Aubrey chimes in.

"What is this about anyways? Why are you doing this?" I ask, setting my bag down on the table where I usually sit during lunch. Alone.

Not that I'm a loner or anything, I just don't like the people in this school. I choose to sit alone, it's better than sitting with fake people.

"Look, ever since we started high school Polly and the others just cut all ties with us." Aubrey explains.

"Great you're better off without them." I say, not really seeing the problem. Polly is the ultimate bitch at River High, she's your typical blonde head cheerleader.

"We were friends as kids. And now all they do is make fun of us. They bully us, they're bullies Hannah. And we can't take it anymore." Nolan finishes off his best friend's explanation.

"What does this have to do with me? Yesterday you didn't even know my name now suddenly you want me to help you? And with something as stupid as this? We were all friends as kids, that's just what happens when you grow up, you grow apart."

"First, we've always known your name. And second, we need you to win this game." Nolan says.

"Mystery is our thing they can't just come in and take it away from us." Aubrey says crossing her arms angrily.

"This is all because of that? That they won at the Murder House and you lost?"

"When the Murder House opened in Riverwood we were first in line to win it for the first time ever and get that cash, we needed it. But being daddy's little girl Polly bribed the employee and they went in first and won, there were six of them and two of us, it's not fair." She continues on.

"And they don't even need the money, they just did it to make us mad." Nolan says.

"Okay." I laugh.

"Don't laugh." He shakes his head as if it's a serious topic we're talking about.

"Look, why can't you just go find someone else, or better yet forget about it and move on."

"We already did, you're the only one playing hard to get." Aubrey says.

"I'm not playing hard to get. Or your stupid game. Out of curiosity who are the other two idiots who agreed?"